<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Well, the Artist *uses* Science, but usually not the other
> > way around.
>
> I believe that for a person who grew up in a developed county in the
> last 80 years the assimilation of some of the principles of science
> are a given.  Even spirituality often uses uses proof systems that
> appear to be empirical to some degree.

I would suggest that "appear to be" is the operative
term here. :-)

> It is only after proffered
> evidence is show to be lacking does the rejection of all science
> usually take place IME.
>
> Even the New Testament tries to build a case for Jesus' divinity
> based on the performance of physical miracles witnessed and
> reported by numbers of people. It surprised me on a re-read in
> the last few years how much time is spent trying to make this
> case.  There is much more time spent on the miracles than any
> of his presentation of ethical philosophy which he gets so much
> undeserved credit for IMO.

Now this is a subject I can identify with and sink
my teeth into. :-)

I have seen *exactly* the same phenomenon in operation
with regard to the Rama fellow I studied with. True,
he could *do* "miracles," at least well enough that
hundreds of people would see phenomena like levitating
or disappearing at the same time, and be able to report
on it with absolute confidence that that's what they
saw and experienced. A lot of those people still trot
out the miracle show as "proof" that he was enlight-
ened.

Me, I don't see ANY link between flashy miracles and
enlightenment or (spit) "divinity," but my opinion
is obviously contrary to that of human civilization
for centuries. People seem to have *always* been
flashed out by miracles and paranormal phenomena.

Why? I think that allows them a kind of subjective
"proof" for their faith, which otherwise would be
mere faith, and thus suspect. They want something
they can regard as objective with which to bolster
their subjective feelings.

Look at "The Exorcist." No really...it's a profoundly
religious work by a profoundly Catholic writer. His
main character, a priest, has lost faith in God. What
brings that faith *back* is his encounter with the
supernatural, in the form of the devil. William Peter
Blatty plays with a similar form of miracle in his
film "The Ninth Configuration," in which one of the
characters not only makes a Christ-like sacrifice for
someone else, but offers a message from beyond the
grave to "prove" to the doubter that his doubts are
unfounded.

And, at the same time, the actual *teachings* of
Christ sometimes go by the wayside and are ignored,
in favor of the flash. The Rama fellow I studied with
had some really interesting things to say and things
to teach, and *that* is what stays with me ten years
after his death, not the miracle shit. But that's
obviously not so with a great number of people. Go
figure, is all I have to say.

In the Christ myth, the biggie of course is the
transcendence of death. That's most people's big fear,
the Big Question Mark hanging over their often-ignored
but always-present awareness of their eventual fate.
"If he can die and not die, maybe I can, too" seems
to be the operating system in place with this kind of
faith.

At any rate, it's a fascinating subject. Thanks for
bringing it up, Curtis.

And, since I peeked at the first few lines of someone
else's followup before I wrote this one, I don't think
you made Jesus our bitch. Paul more than did that long
ago by claiming that he died for our sins.  :-)