<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > His father had promised him a car for his birthday.  Dad was
> > nowhere in sight. His mother gave him 5.00$, yet what he had
> > received was a grace from God that on his birthday the sun
> > and the birds awakened him, the sweet smells of the divine
> > filled the air and he knew without a doubt that there had to
> > be a God and that God just gave him the greatest birthday
> > gift ever.................
>
> So following this weather based theology we can assume that God
> absolutely hates China and dropped a huge earthquake on it's ass
> and despises Burma and sent them a nasty cyclone?

Absolutely. He wasn't too keen on New Orleans, either.
Except for the French Quarter. He spared that because
secretly God is a breast man. Has been since Eden. You
will notice that He gave Eve only one fig leaf, right?
I rest my case. Anyway, God's got this thing for boobs,
and He really likes watching the whole bead thing during
Mardi Gras, so the French Quarter got a free pass.

> It seems a little grandiose and narcissistic to me to attribute a
> day's weather to God's intention to give him a bitch'n birthday
> while his same power over the weather is causing untold misery
> and death in other places.

Indeed. Well said.

> The atheist can enjoy the beauty of a great day also, he just
> doesn't need to imagine that a divine being is slapping him five
> with the weather.

Well said again.

> This discussion reminds me of those guys who pray for victory
> for their sports teams and then sing his praises if they win.
> Or the musicians at the Grammies who thank God for their award.
>
> Any God who would change the weather for a birthday, create a
> game turning interception for a specific sports team, or meddle
> in the affairs of the voting process for best female hip hop
> artist...while ignoring the Guinea worm and malaria mosquito,
> would be the lamest God ever imagined by man.

And yet, there you have it. That IS the God
imagined by man.

Then again, we're talking man. As a creature,
he is ill-regarded in the greater universe.
The actual definition in the Encyclopedia
Galactica for "man" reads, "An ape-descended,
primitive life form so lost in self-importance
that it imagines an all-powerful and interven-
tionist God, and then the most important thing
it can think of to ask Him for is that the
Raiders win the game today."