On Jun 6, 2008, at 2:01 PM, cardemaister wrote:

On Jun 6, 2008, at 3:04 AM, cardemaister wrote:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradhatu@> wrote:

On Jun 5, 2008, at 6:45 PM, cardemaister wrote:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "yifuxero" <yifuxero@> wrote:

44. What is meant by restraint in the centre of the brow? The left
and right in the central channel.

Seems like the translator doesn't know Sanskrit syntax very
well. The last word of that suutra is a compound word:

savyaapasavyasauSumneSu (savya-apasavya-sauSumneSu).

Actually Mike is fluent in Sanskrit, although I never really liked
his
translation of the SS.

Have you got any favourite translation of the above suutra?

Shiva Sutras: The Supreme Awakening by Swami Lakshmanjoo

He was the last living acharya of that tradition.

My favorite translation of III 45 goes like this:

3-45 Concentrating on the center within the nose, what use
are the left and the right channels or suSumna?

naasikaantarmadhyasaMyamaat kimatra savyaapasavyasauSumNeSu

3-45 Concentrating (saMyamaat: ~performing saMyama) on the center
within the nose (naasikaa+antar-madhya), what use
are (kim atra: what here?) the left (savya: iDaa?) and the right
(apasavya: pin.galaa?) channels or suSumna (sauSumNeSu)?

http://www.shaivam.org/ssshivasuutra.htm

As I believe I've explained here before, in an agama like this one, samyama has a different meaning than it does in yoga-darshana. In fact, many different technical terms have different meanings in different darshanas or ways-of-seeing.

In the samyama of this school, there is no outward stroke (vyutthana).