> On Jun 6, 2008, at 2:01 PM, cardemaister wrote:
>
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradhatu@> wrote:

> >> Shiva Sutras: The Supreme Awakening by Swami Lakshmanjoo
> >>
> >> He was the last living acharya of that tradition.
> >>

> > My favorite translation of III 45 goes like this:
> >
> > 3-45 Concentrating on the center within the nose, what use
> > are the left and the right channels or suSumna?
> >
> > naasikaantarmadhyasaMyamaat kimatra savyaapasavyasauSumNeSu
> >
> > 3-45 Concentrating (saMyamaat: ~performing saMyama) on the center
> > within the nose (naasikaa+antar-madhya), what use
> > are (kim atra: what here?) the left (savya: iDaa?) and the right
> > (apasavya: pin.galaa?) channels or suSumna (sauSumNeSu)?
> >
> > http://www.shaivam.org/ssshivasuutra.htm
>

> As I believe I've explained here before, in an agama like this one,
> samyama has a different meaning than it does in yoga-darshana. In
> fact, many different technical terms have different meanings in
> different darshanas or ways-of-seeing.
>
> In the samyama of this school, there is no outward stroke (vyutthana).

You seem to imply that e.g. in PataƱjali's saMyama there is
vyutthaana. IMO, the description of saMyama in the first four suutras
of vibhuuti-paada doesn't seem to support that kind of view.
Furthermore:

sarvaarthaikaagratayoH kSayodayau cittasya samaadhi-pariNaamaH
(*kSaya* of sarvaarthataa and *udaya* of ekaagrataa?)