On Sep 24, 2008, at 2:51 PM, Bhairitu wrote:

The networks want the FCC to allow them to copy protect the programs
that go out over the air on HD.   Guess why they pop up those annoying
banners during the shows?  To make the copies unpalatable but it makes
the show unpalatable. The dummies are shooting themselves in the foot. The FCC is saying NO so far to CP and it would make a lot of recently if
not all current sets with both ATSC and QAM tuners obsolete.  Their
shows are often so bland anyway I turned off "The Mentalist" after 15
minutes and for some reason the DVR didn't record "The Fringe" which was about to fall off my list anyway. So far it's been alleged that NBC has
thrown in some things in the stream that makes Windows Media Center
think the show is copy protected. The EFF is going after them on that.

I'm noticing that DVDs are now coming with a symbol that says the disk
is copy protected. I makes it easy for me to spot a non copy protected disk and play it with my BluRay player which is a better player than my upscaling network player. My set is 8 years old and thus does not have HDMI inputs. BluRay will upscale a DVD that is not copy protected over
component.  My networked DVD player upscales over component but is a
funky implementation of DVD (the developers were more into network stuff
which works good but couldn't even implement a DVD player up to the
standards of a cheap one).

It used to be when you rented a movie on TiVo via Directv, you could keep the movie for as long as you wanted. Now I see they automatically delete themselves after 30 days! However I see there's still no problem running them through my DVD recorder and just making a copy. Similarly movies rented on the iTunes store are good for a 30 day period, but once you start playing them they self-delete after 24 hours passes. This seems to be the new trend.