> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Hugo" <richardhughes103@>
wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jr_esq@> wrote:

possibilities he
> > > has
> > > part.
> > > good and
> > devils.

> > > is "Vedic
> > > dictated
> > > people
> > > humans
at a

> > > As far as I can tell, human consciousness has not differed
greatly
> > > from those people who lived during the vedic ages, or the time
of
> > > Moses in the desert.  IMHO, the human consciousness has always
been
> > > the same throughout the ages.
> >
> > I beg to differ, that consciousness has evolved along with
> > everything else can't really be disputed. Originally I would
> > have thought that we haven't changed much since we left Africa,
> > then I read The Origin of Consciouness in the Breakdown of the
> > Bicameral Mind by Julian Jaynes and the world changed, many
> > things became clear that once were mysteries.
> >

> And it is total nonsense, too.

Total nonsense? Just because it doesn't fit in with how YOU
see the world as being?

http://www.julianjaynes.org/myths-vs-facts.php

If nothing else it's a fascinating idea and what is the
point of having a mind if you aren't going to think about
how it works.

> A tiny bit of thought might reveal how silly the book's premise is:

And that really is a tiny bit of thought.

> TM is a natural technique found in all the world's religions and
> spiritiual traditions

Are you sure or are you just quoting the brochure at us?

> and it *reduces* the mental chatter towards/to zero.
>
> At the same time, the EEG and brain imaging shows that the brain is
becoming
> more in-synch which is correlated with the less mentally active
state, both
> during and outside of meditation.

Can't see what that has to do with bicameral consciousness.

Most of the stuff on his site you have to pay for, but
this is a good look at where he is coming from.

http://www.julianjaynes.org/pdf/jaynes_consciousness-voices-mind.pdf

> To ignore these facts and suggest that religious practices are all
> about creating an "other" to talk to is beyond silly.
>
> It's just stupid.

I think judging books you haven't read or understand is stupid.