Vaj wrote:

> On Jan 3, 2009, at 2:58 PM, Bhairitu wrote:
>
>> Vaj wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Ever see the movie The Serpent and the Rainbow? A true story.
>> I watched it again last night.  I probably saw it years ago on VHS
>> (yuck!).  Right now it is available on FearNet in HD on Comcast
>> OnDemand for free.
>
> If you see the movie "blind" and have some idea of the reality of
> voudoun--which is very much still alive in the US, esp. the New
> orleans area (although it's present in Chicago, Montreal and
> elsewhere)--it'll leave an impression on you won't soon forget. Esp.
> since much of it is historical fiction. It's available for rent and
> sale (9.99) on the iTunes store.
>
> The book is actually much better.
>
> I've not read his later Passage of Darkness: The Ethnobiology of the
> Haitian Zombie, but maybe I should add that one to the pile. :-)
The extras on the movie "The Skeleton Key" are quite informative about
the state of the practice of voodoo, hoodoo, etc.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0397101/

I guess as a movie buff I was amused at comparing today's films with Wes
Craven's production of "Serpent and the Rainbow."  Today's films would
have had a "happily ever after" ending.  Some folks might also recognize
the much younger Paul Guilfoyle playing the pharmaceutical company guy
who nowadays can be seen on CSI.