Ten fold?

<snip>
<Actually, research being done at Columbia University for the
last 10 years shows that cannabis use (yes plain old marijuana)
increases the likelihood of developing psychosis by
ten fold.>

Even if it was two-fold, this is interesting to me.  I was just
dealing with this in some extended family member who is a pot-addict
from way back.  Was a nice smart funny person but now an extremely
malevolent person .

If you read the Marijuana Addicts Anonymous (MAA) links, this is not
uncommon with long-term chronic pot use.

Abuse becomes abusive abuser.

 There is a reality there & it is not just benign.

What is the research?  Anybody have it to look at?

Seems is very timely in many ways here and everywhere.

With Best Regards from Fairfield,
-Doug

<snip>
<Actually, research being done at Columbia University for the
last 10 years shows that cannabis use (yes plain old marijuana)
increases the likelihood of developing psychosis by
ten fold.

<The point is, it's effects on the brain are real and not
necessarily
helpful for certain people in certain situations where quick memory
retrieval is necessary.

<Yes?  And?

<Per my prior post -- some activities are not enhanced with cannabis.
Don't do them. We are not talking using it 24/7 whereby the features
of cnnabis are permanent.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradh...@...> wrote:

> >> You are joking right? Another satire?
> >>
> >> quote ----
> >> Down at the bottom of the CNN report ("Marijuana may increase
> >> psychosis risk, analysis says ") on the Lancet published study
that
> >> claims that frequent marijuana use may cause psychosis we find:
> >
> > Bingo:
> >
> > http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/556097_6
> >
> > I will allow Ruth and others who like delving
> > into research to do so on this one, but it looks
> > to me as if they started backwards and worked
> > towards a foregone conclusion.
>

> In his books on meditation, Zen master and neurologist Jim Austin
not
> only goes into the bodies endogenous "drug" producing systems, he
> also goes over the research on all the major recreational drugs as
well.

> On marijuana he shares an interesting study of 311 grown twins,
where
> one twin had used marijuana before 17, the other had not. The twin
> who HAD used marijuana before 17 was  2.1 to 5.2 times more likely
> engage in other drug use, to develop alcohol dependence and to
> develop some drug dependence. It true, it would back the idea of
> marijuana being a gateway drug. (But clearly Austin is also of a
> previous generation, he was born in 1925, and he seems to abhor
all
> drug use, even of botanicals.)
>
> Marijuana also decrease theta waves globally in the brain and
> "disrupts both the transient attentional and the more sustained
> functions that the subjects require to solve working memory tasks."
>
> It's interesting that in Ayurveda, a botanical that causes
excitation
> of the cerebral cortex is used as the antidote for marijuana.
>
> When pure THC is given to subjects it "produces schizophrenia-like
> positive and negative symptoms,
> alters perception, leads to both anxiety and to euphoria, and
> disrupts both immediate and delayed word recall.27 Large doses of
> cannabis can also provoke an acute psychosis that resembles
> schizophrenia. Heavy users among young recruits in the Swedish
army
> had a sixfold greater incidence of schizophrenia on follow-up."
>
> It would be interesting to see some studies on the botanical
> antidotes to some of these side-effects and also a cross-
comparison