--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradh...@...> wrote:

> On Feb 25, 2009, at 10:30 AM, grate.swan wrote:
>
> >> In his books on meditation, Zen master and neurologist Jim Austin not
> >> only goes into the bodies endogenous "drug" producing systems, he
> >> also goes over the research on all the major recreational drugs as
> >> well.
> >>
> >> On marijuana he shares an interesting study of 311 grown twins, where
> >> one twin had used marijuana before 17, the other had not. The twin
> >> who HAD used marijuana before 17 was  2.1 to 5.2 times more likely to
> >> engage in other drug use, to develop alcohol dependence and to
> >> develop some drug dependence. It true, it would back the idea of
> >> marijuana being a gateway drug. (But clearly Austin is also of a
> >> previous generation, he was born in 1925, and he seems to abhor all
> >> drug use, even of botanicals.)
> >>
> >> Marijuana also decrease theta waves globally in the brain and
> >> "disrupts both the transient attentional and the more sustained
> >> functions that the subjects require to solve working memory tasks."
> >>

> > And the point is?
>
> The point is, it's effects on the brain are real and not necessarily
> helpful for certain people in certain situations where quick memory
> retrieval is necessary.

Yes?  And?

Per my prior post -- some activities are not enhanced with cannabis.
Don't do them. We are not talking using it 24/7 whereby the features
of cnnabis are permanent.

And the gateway drug thing may not be a myth.
> Put it this way: I don't want to be the heart attack victim in an ER
> with the Doc who just returned from two weeks of constantly being
> stoned in Jamaica who can't remember what WTF to do next,

I hope you realized what a crap argument that is. Else I might wonder
how meditation affects logical and rational areas of the brain.

The effects on memory are DURING its use.

nor do I
> want that guy as my pilot trying to land by plane in the Hudson river
> in a pinch. Nor do I necessarily want him working on my home or
> building my car.

Crap squared.