Marek,

I believe you've had to practice dispassion more than most.

When I taught special education, I had to "just not go there" when my
students' possible futures came to my mind.  I knew they all had a
hard life coming, and my job was to teach how to read and do simple
math, but their swords of Damocles were felt as if over my head too.

I'd get inklings of their possible futures by meeting their parents
and seeing some of their support system, but often the parents were
obviously falling far short of being ideal. And, it was impossible to
think about these kids with any hope that they'd have a chance at "the
good life."

Batting away such speculations was a constant feature of my teaching
experience, and, eventually, it drove me from that career. I didn't
have what it takes.

Yet here you are faced with helping folks who are in some of the
hardest circumstances possible, and much of it due to their own
failings, and they, probably in the various stages of anger, denial,
etc., will hardly be in an emotional state that best serves them in
trying to help you help them.

My heart would break on the first case.  How do you find this
super-dispassion?  Did it take practice, or was it something in your DNA?

I'm betting on the DNA.  It is one thing to be able to maintain
clarity by one's intellect grasping all the elements of a situation
and discovering what sort of triage is necessary, but it is quite
another not to be bothered by the psychic carnage you witness everyday.

If it isn't DNA then maybe ya gots something to impart to us here
about how to keep one's soul unsullied by a dark roiling on the rank
injustice of the world.  After all, all your clients were once cuddly
sweet little babies who were then funneled into their futures by every
sort of personality skewing abuse from parents and peers.

I watched Dr. Phil interview Nadya Suleman, the octo-mom, and she was
so out of it regarding the issues she faced -- the stress she's
processing is utterly intense, and she's just not built to handle it.
 And she's in denial about it.  I see her thinking she can pass the
course by writing a blue book, instead, you know, of seeing that she's
taking a final exam for the advanced math course.

I cannot but think that most of your clients are just exactly so
muddled and unhelpful.  How does your heart respond when even the
person who is being helped is suspicious, resentful, even angry of/at
you?

Oh, you're going to come back with "it's all just water off my ducky
back," maybe, but ditch the brave face for us, let your hair down, and
give us some insight on the grind of a public defender's life.

Inquiring minds want to know if you're Mother Teresa disguised as
Atticus Finch disguised as surfer-trikker dude.

Edg

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Marek Reavis" <reavisma...@...>