On May 6, 2009, at 10:38 AM, grate.swan wrote:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradh...@...> wrote:

On May 6, 2009, at 10:06 AM, Richard M wrote:

Well I think the crux of the argument here would be that TM is
claiming to be from this tradition, yet time after time it comes up
against that tradition in terms of errors, typically on things that
were simply never told to us. This actually clarifies a lot of the
deadends people will run into, so it is something worthwhile, not
mere specious intellectualizing. Now some will claim that MMY
"restored the tradition" to some original, better working state. The
fact is, the Patanjali/yogic tradition(s) continues to be passed down
and replicated like it always has been. There's was never any thing
that needed to be restored or fixed. It "works" just fine. But it is
interesting to see where the departures are and the issues they give
rise to.

So your argument appears primarily to be a scholarly a sort of comparative, historical view of meditation methods. Interesting, but of no value to me in any practical sense.

If it was a scholarly comparative, etc. view, it might have less value. It's interesting I see this same comment when TM folks are confronted with others with more experience. They're often very reactive for some reason to people experientially familiar with the tradition(s) they claim to be from. I do think the scholarly POV is quite worthwhile, but I also, for example have found it valuable to find out what that gap was in my awareness during my TM practice and why my breath stopped. It was even more interesting to then be able to be guided beyond that in an authentic way to the next steps. It was amazing to me (but obviously much less so to you) that there was a record and tradition of others who had not only had experienced the same thing, but that they had been repeating this simple process of exploration and unfoldment for so long, so successfully. It was amazing that they had a vocabulary for all this.

The one possible practical point your raised is "This actually clarifies a lot of the deadends people will run into, so it is something worthwhile,"

I would think each individual is best to determine what is worthwhile for them -- and perhaps don't need you to tell them, at a distance. This is smelling like another version of the White Knight syndrome -- a need to save feeble, non-thinking, immature, and unworldly practicioners / women from caddish, brutish, practices / men.

Hmmm. Bizarre.

Thanks again another great point for the list.

4) You are too (stupid, lazy, uneducatioed, imature, feeble) to figure out whats GOOD for YOU. Stand aside knave, Mighty mouse is bow here!

How childish. Whatever.