TurquoiseB wrote:
> Ahem. The last time I lived in the US, as a 50-ish
> self-employed male with *zero* history of serious
> illness or "risk factors," my health insurance premiums
> cost me $600+ per month. That's more like $7200 per year.
That must've been a co-pay $50 deductible policy.  IOW, pretty much what
you'd get with most group policies back then.  I rode a Cobra until it
ran out and had a discussion with an agent from that health insurance
company.  Because I'm overweight they wanted to tack on a 50% surcharge
(which drove my doctor nuts).  I mused to the agent "I suppose everyone
at (name of insurance company) is slim and trim" knowing from telltale
signs of her voice she wasn't.  Immediately she started mentioning money
saving policies I could have (gee where were those before).  So
basically I purchased a $1500 deductible policy.  Given I also have had
few health problems doing the math it doesn't take long to put away some
savings for those kinds of deductibles.

I say if the European countries  can provide health care for so little
so can the US.  But the US is a capitalistic cluster fuck with everyone
out to get theirs.  We are so screwed.