--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <geezerfr...@...> wrote:

<snip>
> > They aren't claiming anybody's doing anything but
> > hopping yet.
>
> So why not call it "yogic hopping"? That would be truthful.
> Calling it "yogic flying" is not.

As long as folks know what's involved before they
plunk down their money for the course, what it's called
doesn't bother me much. Lots of things aren't called
exactly what they are, for PR purposes.

> You believe it is an entirely involuntary action, right?
> How do you explain in the film that all begin hopping
> together, all know where the corner of the foam pad is,
> and all start hopping when the camera happens to be
> filming?

I wouldn't swear the guys in the video weren't helping
things out a little. I wasn't there. All I can tell
you about is my own experience.

I *have* experienced being one of several people who
all started hopping at pretty much the same time,
either because we all thought the sutra at the same
time at the beginning of the session, or because (as
it seemed) the impulse generated by the sutra had
become so "lively" after folks had been hopping for
a while that all it took to get a bunch of folks
to hop was for one person to think the sutra and
activate the impulse for all of them.

It's a bit silly to ask why they all started to
hop while the camera was filming. The camera was
there to film them hopping, and presumably it would
keep running as long as it had to to get hopping on
film.

As to knowing where the edge of the foam is, in my
experience one generally doesn't lose the sense of
where one is in relation to the room's layout or
the objects or people in it. One is aware of getting
close to an obstacle of some kind, another person or
a wall or the edge of the foam, in this case, and that
awareness is enough to kill the impulse if necessary,
or to lead one to turn around and hop in the other
direction.

> I was a hopper for several years. It was obvious to me'
> towards the end of that time that the biggest thing
> going on in those rooms was group think and group action.

What can I say? I'm sorry you didn't have the kind of
experiences I've had. In a group, there's plenty of group
"stuff" going on. Maybe some people are just following
along intentionally, but the "stuff" I'm talking about--
the hopping impulse (as it seems) being lively in the
group's somehow shared consciousness--has been very
distinct and clear to me.