I was a little rushed in my initial reply,  and did not intend to bring
in reincarnation as a forgone conclusion.  But, I must say that in my
system of belief, I cannot make sense of the idea of karma without
reincarnation.  A few other comments below

In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <no_re...@...> wrote:
> "Intervention" would obviate and invalidate the whole
> idea of karma, which IMO is that *you* are supposed to
> learn from the results of your own actions. You steal.
> Something happens to your state of attention as a
> result; it sinks "lower." You steal again, it happens
> again. Sooner or later you figure this out and stop
> stealing. There is no "intervention" involved with
> this, merely individual responsibility.

I don't really see this.  Seems to me it can take a good long time for
us to learn certain lessons, and usually our  body gives out before we
do.  I view this as a pretty practical matter.  It seems obvious to me
that a lot of good actions go unrewarded, and a lot of bad actions go
unpunished in the span of one lifetime.  The only way I can make sense
of this is through this idea of reincarnation.

> I think people get all fucked up by associating the
> very simple, clear concept of karma with the very
> murky, unclear concept of reincarnation. I am talk-
> ing about karma in its sense as simple actions and
> the results of those action. I said, nor implied,
> anything about reincarnation in my previous posts.

Fine, of course.  But aside from all this theoretical stuff. Do you
believe in reincarantion?  What's all this "surfing the bardo" all
about, if I have the correct term.  I don't quite see the case you are
making about how karmic accounts get settled in the span of one
lifetime, and would like to know, as a practical matter if you really do
as well.  Fine to say, "could be this", or "could be that", but what do
you believe.