--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "lurkernomore20002000" <steve.sun...@...>

> > I'm hoping I get to surf the Bardo and play the game
> > again. If I'm wrong and the world just goes black
> > along with any self or self-identity, big deal. I
> > won't even be there to know about it, much less be
> > there to be disappointed.  :-)
>
> It WOULD be a shock, although a pretty short one, if if all
> fades to black at the end. Somehow, I don't see that happening.
> Even if I don't have any concrete experience of it, I just KNOW
> there's a subtle, or astral body in there somewhere.

As I suggested earlier, I don't worry about it
terribly much. If "fade to black" turns out to
be the reality, what will be there left of "me"
to notice? My belief in reincarnation and the
Tibetan rebirth cycle matches with my subjective
memories of past lives and the transit through
the Bardo in previous life-death-rebirth cycles,
but that could just be imagination AFAIK.

The issue in the Tibetan forms of Buddhism that
I admire -- as, interestingly, the issue in forms
of shamanism or occultism such as those popularized
by Carlos Castaneda -- is remarkably pragmatic and
liberating IMO. They don't believe that much, if
any, thought needs to be given to "future lives"
or what happens after we did. The only thing that
"matters" is this life and what happens *before*
we die -- right here, right Now.

The only "measure" of one's "evolution" or "score"
in terms of karma is (in their view) one's state
of attention right here, right Now. "How am I
doing karmically" is literally the same question
as "What is my current state of attention?"

In the Tibetan model, based on a belief in rein-
carnation, "what matters" is how much awareness
and clarity and compassion one can bring to the
moment of one's death. In their view, the more
clarity of awareness one brings "with them" to the
Bardo can determine the easiness or uneasiness of
that transition, and help determine the nature of
the next birth, and how much awareness one gets to
"start with" in it.

Interestingly enough, in Yaqui shamanic traditions
some of the teachers I've met admit that there
might be such a thing as reincarnation, but they
choose to never dwell on it or consider it because
in their system it is irrelevant. Their idea of a
"goal" in life is the cultivation of awareness (or
in their model, "personal power") to as great a
level as possible, given the length of one's life-
time. What happens after that is in their view not
relevant; it's a Here And Now kinda study.

I resonate with this. While I accept the likelihood
of the multi-lifetime model, I don't particularly
"count on it." Like the Tibetans and like the shamans,
my "score" in this life depends on the state of atten-
tion I can "wear" during my life, not on anything
that happens after it. I think this is a preferable
'tude to kicking back and assuming that one "has time"
to work things out in future incarnations if one does
not get them handled in this one.

With that 'tude, I somehow suspect that I'll approach
the moment of my own death more easily than some who
are beset with guilt over all the things they "did
wrong," or who are concerned with going to Hell or
looking forward to going to Heaven. *Or* looking for-
ward to the next incarnation. All of those concerns
are either past or future, and the business of
spiritual development seems to me to be all about
Here And Now.

Thanks for all the great raps, Lurk. It's been a real
pleasure, and a real change from the normal level of
discussion here.