--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, brian64705 <no_re...@...> wrote:

> Judy, well yes, I did. I found the tone of the article
> offensive in accusing anyone who asks questions on this
> a "liar".

I found the repeated "liar" designation unnecessary too,
although it doesn't seem to be *inaccurate*. I was a lot
more interested in the facts the article documented.

<snip>
> So the testimony of the grandmother is disputed by another
> Obama relative. Does not make her wrong.

Two things here. We don't actually know what the testimony
of his grandmother *was*; we know only what the translators
said it was, and they apparently had different stories.

> Only that one of them is not telling the truth.

Or that at some point one of the translators got confused,
either in translating the question or in translating her
response, or that the grandmother got confused and didn't
realize quite what she was being asked.

What's telling to me is that the birthers *omit* the part
of the transcript in which the translator Ogombe repeatedly
insists Obama was born in Hawaii and that this is what the
grandmother actually said.

In contrast, the Salon article quotes *both* the Ogombe
part of the transcript *and* McRae's affidavit and goes
into the whole sequence of events in detail. The Salon
article, in other words, gives you all the facts and
lets you make your own judgments. The birthers *withhold*
some crucial facts.

> One has to look for motives. What motive would the
> grandmother have in saying Obama was born in Kenya?

If that's what she said. Both the Salon piece and a
piece in Slate that's also linked in the ConWebWatch
article say she was asked whether she was present at
his birth, not explicitly whether he was born in Kenya.

> And what motive would this Ogombe have in saying he
> was born in Hawaii?

What motive do the birthers have in omitting that part
of the transcript?

> Seems to me the grandmother had nothing to gain other than
> her own maternal pride in her grandson.

Maternal pride has led more than one mother to adjust
the facts to bolster that pride (often on the basis of
wish-fulfillment rather than intent to deceive), first
of all; second, she's quite elderly; and third, the
whole thing could easily be due to some misunderstanding
created in the process of translation.

> Whereas Ogombe may be more shrewd and understand the
> political significance of the question, hence he defends
> the official story.

But that would go against his *national* pride.

> Same with the Kenyan Ambassador. He seems to me to be
> innocently reflecting the common perception in Kenya that
> Obama was born there.

It may well be a "common perception in Kenya" without
being a fact. It would be interesting to know what the
Kenyan media have to say about this.

In any case, his accent is so thick and the audio so bad
that it's hard to know exactly what he said, whether he
actually assented to the notion that Obama was born there,
or was merely acknowledging Kenyans' pride in him and
the intention to build some kind of commemorative monument.
Or perhaps he was being excessively diplomatic, not wanting
to contradict the person speaking to him. Or he had his own
ulterior motives for supporting the idea that Obama was
born in Kenya. Or it could have been a language problem.

The interviewer, it seemed to me, was disingenuous in
the way he asked the questions; they were formulated as
if it were established fact that Obama was born in Kenya.
So that's a strike against him in my book. The way he
appeared to take the Kenyan birth as a certainty may have
confused the ambassador if the ambassador knew Obama
wasn't born there, and he may have assumed he had simply
misheard what the guy was saying.

> This does not make one person right or wrong. Someone is
> not telling the truth.

The birthers, in this case, are *hiding* the truth that
Ogombe disputed the born-in-Kenya notion. And to my mind,
they're vastly overstating the conclusiveness of what
the grandmother and the ambassador said.

> So people can chose who they want to believe.

I'm much more inclined to believe those who lay everything
on the table.

> It is not conclusive either way and will not be so until
> a long form birth certificate appears, and/or someone
> present at the birth can testify.

Again, there's *so* much hard evidence that Obama was born
in Hawaii, and *none* that he was born in Kenya, that it
should be conclusive without either of those two pieces.

I'm not going to argue this any more with you. I just
wanted to give you an idea of how I go about analyzing
issues like this.