--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, blusc0ut <no_reply@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@> wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Tom Pall <thomas.pall@> wrote:
> <snip>
> > >
> > > "No effort is wasted because no effort is used!" -MMY
> > > commentary.
> >
> > That's a good one, very smart. Actually no effort is ever
> > used, as there is no doer :-)
>
> That's the bottom line.
>
> And disagreement here about "no doer" is the source of
> the disagreement about the effortlessness of TM. That
> never occurred to me before, but you've nailed it.
>
> In that sense, TM gives you the clear experience of
> "no doer" --if you're open to it.
>
> If you're not open to it, if you're a control freak,
> you will probably always find that TM requires "effort."

TM is just a different process which uses a passive approach to achieving TC.
IN TM the reduction of metabolic rate is a bi-product of the mind settling
down, doesn't mean TM is the ONLY correct meditation system.

In other systems where they use Dharana or Concentration the mind and *will*
are used *actively* to do the same thing. Some think Dharana is superior
because it does give the practitioner 'conscious' control of the process. In TM
you are subject to the vagaries of the nervous system (sleep, etc.).

"Spending two hours concentrating on the eye-focus each day will help our
attention withdraw from the body. Generally our sensory currents which give us
sensation of this physical world are spread out through the body. As we
concentrate at the seat of the soul, the sensory currents start withdrawing from
our extremities. They come up from our feet and legs to our trunk. Eventually
they are totally concentrated at the seat of the soul. Once at that point, a
vista of divine Light and celestial Sound opens up for us."

Sant Mat description of Dharana.