--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, cardemaister <no_reply@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Buck" <dhamiltony2k5@> wrote:
> >
> > Om Jeezus X-mas, they've been chanting it wrong all this time!
> > Well then, no wonder.
> >
> > saha nau avatu .
> > saha nau bhunaktu .
> > saha viiryaM karavaavahai .
> > tejasvi nau;
> > adhiitam astu maa vidviSaavahai .
> >

> That's pada-paaTha (word-reading), so to speak.
> The saMhitaa-paaTha goes like this:
>
>  saha naav avatu . saha nau bhunaktu . saha viiryaM karavaavahai .
>  tejasvi naav adhiitam astu maa vidviSaavahai .
>
> That is, before a *vowel*, 'nau' changes to 'naav',
> without any effect on the *semantic* level.

This seems to be the most accurate translation I could
find quickly:

Om ! May He protect us both together; may He nourish us both together;
May we work conjointly with great energy,
May our study be vigorous and effective;
May we not mutually dispute (or may we not hate any).

 May He protect (avatu) us both (nau [~now] accusative *dual*) together (saha);
 may He nourish (bhunaktu) us both (nau) together (saha);
May we work (karavaavahai) conjointly (saha)
with great energy (viiryam),
May our study be (adhiitam [study] astu [may (it) be])
 vigorous-and-effective (tejasvi);
May we not (maa: 'we' in the verb ->) mutually-dispute (vidviSaavahai)
(or may we not hate any: vidviSaavahai).