Certainly the cost of mindfulness techniques as made them very popular.
However, the US military isn't concerned about cost alone, but cost vs
benefits, and they are actively evaluating several different meditation
techniques for use in the US military, including mindfulness and TM.

The preliminary results on TM and PTSD have already started to be published.
The intent, at least with the TM studies that I am aware of, is to track
meditators throughout their military careers, so we will, over the next 2-3
decades, get a nice longitudinal view of TM's effects in a military setting.
Likewise, I would assume, for mindfulness techniques.