[...]
> Plus, it would have *significant* advantages when dealing
> with PTSD because (even though Nabby in his blissful TM-
> induced ignorance doesn't understand this) mindfulness is
> not necessarily a "meditation technique" in the sense that
> he thinks of it. One can practice mindfulness anytime, any-
> where...no need to sit or close one's eyes, no need to
> withdraw from activity or work. Most important, if unwanted
> thoughts and emotions come up during the day or night for
> a PTSD sufferer, he or she can just practice mindfulness
> right then and there and relieve the distress, coming back
> to a more balanced mental and emotional state.

In fact, there are articles published about Tibetan monks living in this
country who are unable to meditate because of the flashbacks from their PTSD.

Mindfulness and PTSD may not be as good a fit as you think. PTSD evokes
"hypervigilance" where one is acutely aware of everything that is going on
around them. It is conceivable that mindfulness techniques may exacerbate this
problem.

> I would have to assume that the military would consider
> this a BIG plus. You really can't have soldiers in the field
> taking off for 20 minutes to meditate with eyes closed, after
> all.

Of course you  can. Soldiers constantly try to get shut-eye time even in the
middle of battle. If someone isn't shooting at you and you aren't explicitly on
guard duty, the most appropriate activity for every soldier in combat is to
sleep  whenever possible because you may not get another chance.