> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, azgrey <no_reply@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@> wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, turquoiseb <no_reply@> wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > In fact, there are articles published about Tibetan monks
> > > living in this country who are unable to meditate because
> > > of the flashbacks from their PTSD.
> >
> > Cite please. "Unable to meditate." I think not.
> >
> > I believe that you may be misunderstanding the phenomenon
> > and therefore misstating the situation. PTSD, however, certainly
> > exists in some Tibetan monks.
> >
> > I had the good fortune of a chance meeting once, in Phoenix,
> > with Palden Gyatso. To say he is a remarkable fellow would be the
> > grossest understatement of my life. I had no idea who he was.
> > Friends brought him by for me to share lunch with him. The
> > humble manner he showed when I payed for our lunch stays
> > with me to this day. I can only compare it to the gratitude seen
> > in my adopted Greyhounds eyes when given a meal in their
> > adopted home. Anthropomorphism my ass!!
> > It is true gratitude. It was then that I began to understand the
> > real meaning and depth of seeing Buddha nature in sentient
> > beings.
> >
> > He went out to the car my friends had arrived in and then gave
> > me a copy of his autobiography which he then wrote a long
> > inscription inside. It was only upon reading the book that I learned
> > of his 33 years spent in Chinese prisons and labor camps.
> > Someday I hope to view the 2008 documentary film about him
>
> Nice story. I got to see him in Santa Fe, although
> only from the audience in a room of about 100 others.
> His presence touched all of us. He and only one other
> person I've met embody for me the concept of compassion.
>
> The other, interestingly enough, was a filmmaker, the
> director of "Phörpa" ("The Cup"). Khyentse Norbu is a
> also a Tibetan Buddhist lama and a recognized tulku; he
> just prefers making movies to doing the tulku thing. :-)
>
> Anyway, I got to meet him and observe him at a fund-
> raising showing of "The Cup" in Santa Fe. The room was
> full of heavy rollers, there to be seen and to slip
> Norbu a check, and thus receive a little financially-
> induced darshan. (Hey!...we're talking about Santa Fe.)
>
> It was his *equanimity* that floored me. The co-founder
> of Microsoft walks up and schmoozes him and puts a
> check in the bowl and he treats him...uh, there's no
> other word for it...perfectly, and then he walks off.
> And the next person he interacts with is a young Chicano
> woman who has been hired at minimum wage to serve drinks
> at this fund-raiser, asking if he would like any more
> tea. And he treats her...uh, there's no other word for
> it...perfectly, and then she walks off.
>
> NOTHING fazed him. NOTHING shook him from his baseline.
> He treated everyone who he interacted with with perfect
> equanimity and compassion.
>
> The dude could have been a superstar if he'd stayed
> [...]

Cool. This reminiscence drew me to the IMDB to look
up Khyentse Norbu again. I really do love his films,
and he hasn't released one since "Travelers and
Magicians."

Happy happy joy joy. Two of his films may be coming
out soon. The first is listed as completed, and is
called "Finding Manjushri" --

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2255805/

"A smug young monk embarks upon an intriguing journey
only to discover that the wisdom he seeks is much
closer than he imagines, and much stranger than he
could possibly envisage. Set against the stunning
backdrop of the Himalayas, Lodro battles the elements,
braves the seductions of beautiful women, chases
enchanted children and encounters a magical mule that
can read, in his attempt to reach the mythical mountain
of Wutaishan, in search of Manjushri. Finding Manjushri
was produced on a shoestring budget in a Tibetan refugee
settlement in northern India. It is a delightful and
uplifting story, delivered with charm and humor, that
explores Tibetan Buddhism's unconventional concept of
wisdom and carries a universal message that resonates
across cultures."

The second, called "Vara: A Blessing," is listed as
being in post-production, so no plot synopsis is
available --

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2077904/