--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@...> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Plus, it would have *significant* advantages when dealing
> > with PTSD because (even though Nabby in his blissful TM-
> > induced ignorance doesn't understand this) mindfulness is
> > not necessarily a "meditation technique" in the sense that
> > he thinks of it. One can practice mindfulness anytime, any-
> > where...no need to sit or close one's eyes, no need to
> > withdraw from activity or work. Most important, if unwanted
> > thoughts and emotions come up during the day or night for
> > a PTSD sufferer, he or she can just practice mindfulness
> > right then and there and relieve the distress, coming back
> > to a more balanced mental and emotional state.
> >

> In fact, there are articles published about Tibetan monks living in this
> country who are unable to meditate because of the flashbacks from their PTSD.

Cite please. "Unable to meditate." I think not.

I believe that you may be misunderstanding the phenomenon
and therefore misstating the situation. PTSD, however, certainly
exists in some Tibetan monks.

I had the good fortune of a chance meeting once, in Phoenix,
with Palden Gyatso. To say he is a remarkable fellow would be the
grossest understatement of my life. I had no idea who he was.
Friends brought him by for me to share lunch with him. The
humble manner he showed when I payed for our lunch stays
with me to this day. I can only compare it to the gratitude seen
in my adopted Greyhounds eyes when given a meal in their
adopted home. Anthropomorphism my ass!!
It is true gratitude. It was then that I began to understand the
real meaning and depth of seeing Buddha nature in sentient beings.

He went out to the car my friends had arrived in and then gave
me a copy of his autobiography which he then wrote a long
inscription inside. It was only upon reading the book that I learned
of his 33 years spent in Chinese prisons and labor camps.
Someday I hope to view the 2008 documentary film about him

> Mindfulness and PTSD may not be as good a fit as you think. PTSD evokes
> "hypervigilance" where one is acutely aware of everything that is going on
> around them. It is conceivable that mindfulness techniques may exacerbate
> this problem.

Here you answer my earlier question as to whether you have
ever taken formal Mindfullness training Lawson. If you had,
you would be aware that formal as well as informal practice
can be done while sitting, standing, walking, or laying down.
Your statement is as ill-informed as that of my MBSR instructor's
when he described TM as a "meditation in which you concentrate
on your mantra."