> OK.  I think you're suggesting that it's something of
> an infinite regress, that one can be overshadowed by
> the desire not to be overshadowed.  But that's the
> nature of the beast, part of why ignorance is so
> sticky.
>
> The point I was making to Rory, though, is that with
> me it's not a matter of having some set of idealized
> criteria for realization, i.e., what I expect
> realization to be like; rather, my single criterion
> for realization is *not* having the fundamental
> criterion for ignorance.

Yes, that alone is sufficient to overshadow "realization" -- denying
the validity ("perfection", is-ness, ever-presence, whatever) of
your "fundamental criterion for ignorance" -- trying *not* to embody
the fundamental criterion for ignorance. In denying ignorance (tamas),
we cling to clarity (sattva), and get (as if) stuck inside the gunas,
rather than remembering they are all merely ideas *in us* :-)

> I don't know what it's like to be realized; I do
> know what it's like to be ignorant, in other words.

"Being realized" isn't "like" anything -- other than (say, in that
moment) Judy writing she doesn't know what it's like to be realized,
but knows what it's like to be ignorant. :-)