 Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Apostasy, is a terrible thing.
 To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
 Date: Friday, January 17, 2014, 8:09 AM

 --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Michael Jackson
 wrote:

 > I am still reading - its a pretty extraordinary book,
 to me anyway. You are quite the writer and should I ever be
 able to write to that level, I will be a happy man.

 > I am still feeling energy, sometimes with a Capital
 "E." Some I might expect such as the account of
 Rama allowing the golden light to glow and glow and glow in
 the room, the Buddha meditation in the Hawaiian
 restaurant...,

 Ah, yes...good moments, both of
 them. The latter story was written at the time, which
 possibly makes a difference. Fred Lenz was, after all, an
 English professor before he became a guru/cult figure, and
 so he highly recommended that everyone keep a Journal, and
 when they had extraordinary experiences, to write them down
 *as soon as possible* after they'd happened. His theory
 was -- and I fully believe it is true, based on personal
 experience -- that many of these experiences happen in
 alternate realities that you can't easily access or even
 remember when you're "back" in your normal,
 everyday reality. He felt -- and again I agree -- that if
 you have some whiz-bang experience that if you don't
 write it down in the first day or so after it happens, much
 or most of the experience will be lost to you forever. When
 trying to "go back" and recapture it, you'll
 end up adding too much fiction and moodmaking into the
 writing, because you won't be able to remember how it
 *felt*. You can't "recapture" the state of
 attention you were in at the time because you are no longer
 in it.

 On the other hand, his theory was that if you *do* write it
 down at the time, you can then go back later and
 "polish" the writing (as I did with some of the
 stories), but more important, the writing now serves as kind
 of a doorway or portal "back to" the state of
 attention you experienced while the original events were
 going on. He called this "the second level of
 writing," creating a catalyst for yourself such that,
 when you read it again in the future, it "takes you
 back" to the mindset of the original experience and
 allows you to experience it again. That certainly happened
 for me when writing some of the stories, and still happens
 sometimes when I go back and read some of them.

 Rama's "third level of writing" is something
 I'm not sure I've ever achieved, but I still aspire
 to it. That's when you manage to capture enough of the
 energy and mindset of an extraordinary experience that
 *someone else* can get a hit on it, and feel a little of the
 original energy and wonder. I've certainly experienced
 that when reading some of my favorite
 authors.

 > ...but some of the strongest Energy was when I read the
 chapter "Style" about  how you live your life when
 no one else is watching (and how you decorate a house) -
 Maybe I am just wanting to feel a lot so I am doing so at
 odd moments.

 Whatever. A lot of these stories
 were written -- like my Paris cafe stories -- sitting down
 at a cafe in Santa Fe with essentially a blank mind and a
 blank canvas, and just *writing*, to see what came out. At
 the time of that story, I was just having SO much fun
 decorating my house that I guess that's what came out.
 :-)

 > Anyhow I am gonna take a break for the night and see
 what tomorrow brings - thanks again for sharing this link -
 I'm getting a lot out of it.

 No problem, and I hope it
 answers some of your questions. He was definitely an odd
 guy, clearly the oddest I've ever met in this lifetime.
 Much of my experience studying with him was wonderful, and
 mainly because -- in contrast to the TMO where I'd spent
 the previous few years -- so much of it was FUN. We went to
 movies together; we went to Disneyland together; we went to
 Hawaii and Paris and Amsterdam together. We'd dress up
 in tuxes and evening dresses and have lavish dinners at The
 Pierre in NY or at Windows On The World. Nothing about the
 trip was "reclusive" or aspiring to head off
 someday and live in a cave. It was very much a Tantric trip
 -- not only about living in the world, but about living in
 the world *well*, and with some style.

 When it began to be less fun, I wound up having to make some
 decisions about whether to bail on it or not, and wound up
 bailing. Many friends stuck it out for a couple of more
 years, but then Rama wound up bailing on *them*, kinda
 leaving them floundering for some time. I consider myself
 fortunate that I had made my own decision to leave before
 then, and thus didn't have to deal with that sudden
 absence.

 Anyway, to quote the Grateful Dead, it was a "long,
 strange trip," and even though I'm not part of it
 any more, I'm glad I wrote some of it down. Heck, if I
 hadn't, by now I'd be half convinced that I imagined
 it all. :-)

 But I didn't.

 > On Thu, 1/16/14, TurquoiseB turquoiseb@... wrote:
 >
 >  Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Apostasy, is a terrible
 thing.
 >  To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
 >  Date: Thursday, January 16, 2014, 7:47 PM
 >
 >  --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Michael Jackson

 >  wrote:
 >  >
 >  > I am still feeling tons of palpable energy even
 as I go
 >  about my day. Will get back to you on that in a
 while.

 >  Interesting. I always wondered
 >  about that.
 >
 >  I know that I often felt incredible waves of energy
 while
 >  writing many of the stories, but I didn't know
 whether
 >  that could "communicate" or come across to
 someone
 >  who wasn't there. I've had other Rama students
 tell
 >  me that they "felt" something, but they
 were
 >  there, and thus could just be having some memory
 being
 >  triggered.
 >
 >  I haven't gone back and read RTM myself in quite
 some
 >  time, so it's difficult for me to even remember
 all that
 >  I wrote back then. But what I can remember is that
 the
 >  "highest" stories from my point of view
 were
 >  probably the tsakli stories (by definition some of
 the
 >  highest moments of my life) and the two scorpion
 stories.

 >  > --------------------------------------------
 >  > On Thu, 1/16/14, TurquoiseB turquoiseb@ wrote:
 >  >
 >  >  Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Apostasy, is a
 terrible
 >  thing.
 >  >  To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
 >  >  Date: Thursday, January 16, 2014, 7:21 PM
 >  >
 >  >  --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Michael
 Jackson

 >  >  wrote:
 >  >  >
 >  >  > I changed my day so I could delve into what
 you
 >  had
 >  >  written - I have gone through a lot of it and
 it
 >  answers
 >  >  most of my questions. Mainly I wanted to know if
 you
 >  thought
 >  >  Rama was legit in the beginning and if you
 witnessed
 >  any of
 >  >  the power or sidhi demonstrations he did.
 Obviously
 >  yes to
 >  >  both.
 >  >
 >  >  If by "legit" you mean
 >  >  enlightened, I don't know. What I do know is
 that
 >  in the
 >  >  beginning he was a nicer guy and a better
 teacher, and
 >  was
 >  >  obviously going through *something*. What that
 >  something was
 >  >  I still don't know; all I know is that it
 radiated
 >  so
 >  >  strongly you could feel it. Meditate with the
 man and
 >  there
 >  >  was no issue of stopping thoughts. You
 couldn't
 >  *have*
 >  >  thoughts. The silence was that profound.
 >  >
 >  >  As for the performance of sidhis, yes I
 witnessed
 >  them, as
 >  >  did literally thousands of other people over
 the
 >  years, but
 >  >  again, I can't claim to "know what was
 >  >  happening." All I can say is that it DID
 happen
 >  for me,
 >  >  subjectively, and that it was kinda neat to see.
 I was
 >  never
 >  >  as wowed out as some people were by the sidhis,
 >  strangely
 >  >  enough because I stilled believed in something
 >  Maharishi had
 >  >  said earlier (and later changed his mind about),
 that
 >  sidhis
 >  >  did not mean enlightenment, and vice-versa.
 Apples
 >  and
 >  >  oranges. No relation between the two.
 >  >
 >  >  Interestingly enough, especially given your
 next
 >  comment,
 >  >  the real phwam! of seeing these things was not
 so
 >  much
 >  >  seeing them but FEELING them. *Whatever* was
 going on,
 >  there
 >  >  was a palpable field of energy that surrounding
 it
 >  that just
 >  >  knocked my socks off.
 >  >
 >  >  > I had a hard time reading much of it
 because I
 >  began to
 >  >  feel a great deal of energy as soon as I
 started
 >  reading, I
 >  >  mean LOTS of energy. So I am taking the reading
 in
 >  stages.
 >  >  Read a little. Sweep my floors a little, clean
 the
 >  >  bathrooms, come down off the energy a little and
 read
 >  >  little more.
 >  >
 >  >  Interesting to hear that you
 >  >  felt something while reading it. I certainly
 did
 >  while
 >  >  writing it.
 >  >
 >  >  > Two minor questions I have are:
 >  >  >
 >  >  > Did you know this guy? Mark Laxer
 >  >
 >  >  Yes. We were friends in the
 >  >  early days, but he was one of the early
 defectors, and
 >  >  just haven't run into him since. I'm
 sure he
 >  had
 >  >  some interesting things to say in his memoir
 piece
 >  about
 >  >  Rama, but I haven't read it.
 >  >
 >  >  > Have you ever read his book Take Me for a
 Ride:
 >  Coming
 >  >  of Age in a Destructive Cult Paperback?
 >  >
 >  >  No. It's difficult for me to
 >  >  read other students' books about Rama,
 because 1)
 >  >  I'm not really that interested in the guy
 these
 >  days,
 >  >  and 2) what they experienced was what *they*
 >  experienced. It
 >  >  may or may not map to my experience, and neither
 of us
 >  is
 >  >  "right" about what we saw and
 experienced,
 >  or what
 >  >  we think of him. We just saw and experienced
 what we
 >  >  experienced, that's all.
 >  >
 >  >  > If so is it accurate?
 >  >
 >  >  Can't help you. As I said, I
 >  >  haven't read it.
 >  >
 >  >  > That's all - back to the energy now
 and
 >  thanks for
 >  >  talking and thanks for writing about Rama and
 all the
 mjackson74@
 >  wrote:
 >  >  >
 >  >  >  Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Re: Apostasy,
 is a
 >  >  terrible thing.
 >  >  >  To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
 >  >  >  Date: Thursday, January 16, 2014, 4:02 PM
 >  >  >
 >  >
 >  >  >        Thanks Barry - I am gonna read what
 you
 >  have
 >  >  >  written and if I have any questions after
 that,
 >  >  I'll
 >  >  >  send 'em.
 >  >  >
 >  >  >  Got a busy day today, but I intend to
 start
 >  reading it
 >  >  later
 >  >  >  tonight.
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  >  On Thu, 1/16/14, TurquoiseB turquoiseb@
 >  >  >  wrote:
 >  >  >
 >  >  >  Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Apostasy, is
 >  terrible
 >  >  thing.
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   Date: Thursday, January 16, 2014, 8:21
 AM
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com,
 Michael
 >  Jackson
 >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   wrote:
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   > I would like to have a conversation
 with
 >  you
 >  >  about
 >  >  >  your
 >  >  >   time with Rama if you are willing. I am
 more
 >  than
 >  >  happy to
 >  >  >   do it privately if you like cause I know
 some
 >  on here
 >  >  are
 >  >  >   going to revile you no matter what you
 say. So
 >  can
 >  >  we
 >  >  >  talk?
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   I don't mind, as long as you
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   understand a few things at the outset.
 First,
 >  >  rarely
 >  >  >  even
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   think about the dude any more, except
 when
 >  something
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   triggers a memory, as something you said
 in one
 >  of
 >  >  your
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   posts did yesterday. Second, I don't
 waste
 >  my
 >  >  time
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   either condemning or defending him -- he
 was
 >  what he
 >  >  was,
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   and I don't much care what anyone
 thinks
 >  about
 >  >  him.
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   Third, however, and as you say, if we do
 it
 >  here you
 >  >  can
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   expect a lot of "piling on"
 from
 >  stalkers
 >  >  here.
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   They'll do it for various reasons.
 Some
 >  will
 >  >  start
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   piling on when they hear tales of
 thousands of
 >  his
 >  >  >  students
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   witnessing siddhis they've *still*
 only
 >  read
 >  >  about,
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   after 30 years of pursuing them and
 after
 >  paying
 >  >  thousands
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   of dollars to supposedly learn them. Some
 will
 >  pile
 >  >  on
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   because they don't like me, and they
 >  mistakenly
 >  >  >  believe
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   that if they diss a former teacher I
 still have
 >  some
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   positive feelings about, it'll push
 my hot
 >  >  buttons the
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   same way me saying things about MMY
 pushes
 >  theirs,
 >  >  and
 >  >  >  thus
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   I'll react and get into one of the
 >  Robin-like
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   "confrontations" with them they
 so
 >  hope
 >  >  for.
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   That's not gonna happen, so we might
 as
 >  well do
 >  >  it
 >  >  >  here.
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   :-) But I'll warn you ahead of time
 that
 >  my
 >  >  attention
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   span for "things Rama-related"
 is
 >  pretty
 >  >  damned
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   short these days, so if you have
 questions,
 >  make the
 >  >  first
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   few "count," because at some
 point
 >  I'll
 >  >  get
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   tired of the whole thing and bail. :-)
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   That said, ask anything you want, and
 I'll
 >  do my
 >  >  best
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   answer your questions as honestly as I
 wrote
 >  >  "Road
 >  >  >  Trip
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   Mind." That would be a good place to
 start
 >  if
 >  >  you are
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   actually curious about the dude. I wrote
 it to
 >  get
 >  >  the
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   Rama-monkey off my back, and it worked.
 >  don't
 >  >  >  actually
 >  >  >
 >  >  >   have a great deal more to say about the
 guy