--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Michael Jackson  wrote:

> I am still reading - its a pretty extraordinary book, to me anyway.
You are quite the writer and should I ever be able to write to that
level, I will be a happy man.

> I am still feeling energy, sometimes with a Capital "E." Some I might
expect such as the account of Rama allowing the golden light to glow and
glow and glow in the room, the Buddha meditation in the Hawaiian
restaurant...,

Ah, yes...good moments, both of them. The latter story was written at
the time, which possibly makes a difference. Fred Lenz was, after all,
an English professor before he became a guru/cult figure, and so he
highly recommended that everyone keep a Journal, and when they had
extraordinary experiences, to write them down *as soon as possible*
after they'd happened. His theory was -- and I fully believe it is true,
based on personal experience -- that many of these experiences happen in
alternate realities that you can't easily access or even remember when
you're "back" in your normal, everyday reality. He felt -- and again I
agree -- that if you have some whiz-bang experience that if you don't
write it down in the first day or so after it happens, much or most of
the experience will be lost to you forever. When trying to "go back" and
recapture it, you'll end up adding too much fiction and moodmaking into
the writing, because you won't be able to remember how it *felt*. You
can't "recapture" the state of attention you were in at the time because
you are no longer in it.

On the other hand, his theory was that if you *do* write it down at the
time, you can then go back later and "polish" the writing (as I did with
some of the stories), but more important, the writing now serves as kind
of a doorway or portal "back to" the state of attention you experienced
while the original events were going on. He called this "the second
level of writing," creating a catalyst for yourself such that, when you
read it again in the future, it "takes you back" to the mindset of the
original experience and allows you to experience it again. That
certainly happened for me when writing some of the stories, and still
happens sometimes when I go back and read some of them.

Rama's "third level of writing" is something I'm not sure I've ever
achieved, but I still aspire to it. That's when you manage to capture
enough of the energy and mindset of an extraordinary experience that
*someone else* can get a hit on it, and feel a little of the original
energy and wonder. I've certainly experienced that when reading some of
my favorite authors.

> ...but some of the strongest Energy was when I read the chapter
"Style" about  how you live your life when no one else is watching (and
how you decorate a house) - Maybe I am just wanting to feel a lot so I
am doing so at odd moments.

Whatever. A lot of these stories were written -- like my Paris cafe
stories -- sitting down at a cafe in Santa Fe with essentially a blank
mind and a blank canvas, and just *writing*, to see what came out. At
the time of that story, I was just having SO much fun decorating my
house that I guess that's what came out. :-)

> Anyhow I am gonna take a break for the night and see what tomorrow
brings - thanks again for sharing this link - I'm getting a lot out of
it.

No problem, and I hope it answers some of your questions. He was
definitely an odd guy, clearly the oddest I've ever met in this
lifetime. Much of my experience studying with him was wonderful, and
mainly because -- in contrast to the TMO where I'd spent the previous
few years -- so much of it was FUN. We went to movies together; we went
to Disneyland together; we went to Hawaii and Paris and Amsterdam
together. We'd dress up in tuxes and evening dresses and have lavish
dinners at The Pierre in NY or at Windows On The World. Nothing about
the trip was "reclusive" or aspiring to head off someday and live in a
cave. It was very much a Tantric trip -- not only about living in the
world, but about living in the world *well*, and with some style.

When it began to be less fun, I wound up having to make some decisions
about whether to bail on it or not, and wound up bailing. Many friends
stuck it out for a couple of more years, but then Rama wound up bailing
on *them*, kinda leaving them floundering for some time. I consider
myself fortunate that I had made my own decision to leave before then,
and thus didn't have to deal with that sudden absence.

Anyway, to quote the Grateful Dead, it was a "long, strange trip," and
even though I'm not part of it any more, I'm glad I wrote some of it
down. Heck, if I hadn't, by now I'd be half convinced that I imagined it
all. :-)

But I didn't.