But that wasn't my point with SallyAnn (which is what Thunderbird wants to rename him). It was to point out that he lacks the proper credentials or scientific depth to discuss the issue properly. He doesn't appear to know even basic astronomy.

What I think we have here is a division between though who fear the idea that our lives are predestined and those who celebrate it. If astrology seems to give some clue about destiny fine. Science may also discover the patterns which rule our lives and indeed there are scientists trying to do so. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who hide behind the shield of science who know little about science.

For example, I wonder over to Raw Story, which during the Bush era was the bastion of liberal news and thought. The poor folks who run that news site must be wondering what has happened. Much good discussion that existed in the comments section has given away to obviously paid shills from Monsanto and other GMO companies not to mention NSA and CIA plants trying to influence the discussion. I have great fun walking all over these people and watching them explode. Their latest little bit is celebrating TV scientist (or shall I say establishment ordained scientist) Neal DeGrasse's claim that GMO is okay. The only reason for some of the posters to spend so much time rebutting those of us who call his claims bullshit is that they are getting paid for it. Love to blow their cover. :-D

On 08/06/2014 12:39 AM, TurquoiseBee turquoi...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife] wrote:
*From:* salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>

And besides, we get it, you don't like astrology. :-D

    I've yet to see anything to like about it.

As previously noted, I don't think there is any link between the motions of the planets and human behavior, *even on the level of long-term observance of trends*, using the "motions of the planets" only to map the supposed repeating time-trends. I think it's all hooey onto which people project their shit.

That said, I see no more harm in astrology *used for entertainment purposes*, and nothing else. I see it as on pretty much the same level as these silly websites that promise to tell you your "personality type" or (recently) your "life novel." They're just Rorschach tests, which can be used to explore one's own personality, along the lines of, "Wow...I can't believe I see a hot babe in that blob of ink. What does that say about me."

You can potentially have the same level of fun with an astrology reading, presuming that you didn't pay very much for it, and don't take it too seriously, and as anything *more* or *more meaningful* than entertainment. I can still make jokes about my own "Sagittarius tendencies," for example, and laugh about the supposedly Sag traits I read about that seem to apply to me, but at the same time I know that I'm just projecting any correspondences onto these traits, and that they aren't real. They're just entertaining.

It's when people start putting money on the line for astrology that things go over the line. Paying hundreds of dollars to some charlatan for a reading goes over the line. Making life decisions or economic decisions or even romantic decisions based on the "reading" is going over the line. Buying gems or other Woo Woo talismans to "mitigate karmas" is going over the line. Treating astrology or jyotish as if they were some kind of "science" is going over the line.

The squiggles on a "chart" are IMO no more potentially meaningful than the arrangement of tea leaves in the bottom of a teacup. And no less so. If your mind has the ability to slip into "seeing" mode and get a hit off of tea leaves, then it might have the ability to do so with an astrology chart. But it's your mind doing the "seeing," not the creation of a chart, or the dumping out of the tea leaves.

But all of this is pissing into the wind when addressing people who are locked into Woo Woo Syndrome and constantly looking for the Next Big Thing to spend money on to increase their Woo / sense of self-importance. There is no real "wish to find out" there. They're going to go for anecdotes that reinforce their "will to believe" every time.

http://lowres.cartoonstock.com/money-banking-psychic-fortune_teller-crystal_ball-gypsy-carnival-awhn243_low.jpg