 From: salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 6, 2014 3:00 PM
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Re: Why astrology is rubbish.

On 08/06/2014 09:25 AM, salyavin808
wrote:

>>---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <noozguru@...> wrote :
>>

>>But that wasn't my point with SallyAnn (which is what
Thunderbird
wants to rename him).  It was to point out that he
lacks the
proper credentials or scientific depth to discuss the
issue
properly.  He doesn't appear to know even basic
astronomy.

>>LOL. You've
ignored most of what I've said anyway, but do
you really think there is an issue to discuss? Read
it all again, all I want to say is that your
horoscope looks a bit silly if you put everything
where it's supposed to be instead of where the
software thinks it is. Obviously you don't think
about it like that, the picture the ancients had was
sweet but so inaccurate that they'd fall over
backwards if they saw what reality was really like.
How can it be taken seriously if you aren't taking
in the extra distances due to orbits going behind
the sun for instance? The only force known to be
infinite in extent is gravity and it can't be that,
it couldn't be that even if the Earth was the centre
of the universe. It's all rubbish. It's so obvious
to me it hurts. What
other credentials do I need dear Bhairitu?

>>The only thing we
seem to be left with is some other force that ties
us in with the movements of planets against an
arbitrary background but is rubbish at making
predictions even though it's all supposed to be
running like clockwork. Would I believe it if I was
born two hours later?

>>What I think we have here is a division between though
who fear
the idea that our lives are predestined and those who
celebrate
it.  If astrology seems to give some clue about
destiny fine.
Science may also discover the patterns which rule our
lives and
indeed there are scientists trying to do so.
Unfortunately there
are a lot of people who hide behind the shield of
science who know
little about science.

>>Science has
dismissed astrology many times. These patterns that
rule our lives should make it easy to make testable
predictions but they don't seem to work. Far from
hiding behind a shield I'm actually thinking of ways
to show it does work, by having a chart done for
instance and then thinking about it. Trouble is, one
of the main predictions was wrong. So how can any of
the others be right if they don't take into account
the effect that a life changing event would have had.
Be being extra vague? That doesn't sound like my
life is being ruled by patterns that science has yet
to understand.

>>Do you get it yet?
>>
>I get that you can't rationally discuss the subject.
What's irrational about anything I've said?

Your replies
are emotionally biased and loaded with ignorance both of astrology
and science.
Emotionally biased? That makes no sense but I admit I'm ignorant of how
astrology could possibly work.
I'm always happy to apply scientific principles to things though, I do now how
to do that coz it's easy, you just look for the weak link and set up a question
that falsifies the conjecture if it can't be answered.

And BTW there are practitioners of heliocentric
astrology.  Maybe you ought to test it out.

Like I said, there are experts in Bigfoot and Yeti...

>What I get is that from the horoscopes for people I have
done the predictions played out.
So you are the perfect astrologer? Cool.

Put that in your chillum and smoke
it.
Childish.

>>On 08/06/2014 12:39 AM, TurquoiseBee turquoiseb@... [FairfieldLife] wrote: