I would say awareness experiences what the nervous system is conscious of; you
do not experience awareness, it 'gives' being to whatever is experienced. This
is fine cut gobbledygook in the use of words. Awareness is not self-reflective,
but allows self-reflectiveness to be experienced. The is no 'you' that
experiences it. But there is a mind that ruminates on it, that awareness makes
'visible'. You could say it is the consciousness of consciousness. None of
these words really hit the mark. Awareness is a poor choice of words, if you
use those words in a different sense than Nisargadatta did, if you want to
define them some other way. Now with TM, the words awareness and consciousness
do not seem to be used in the same way that Nisargadatta did, they are used
more loosely, often completely equivalent.

 Here is how a Vedantist uses the word awareness:

 '...enlightenment is not a transcendental state, a higher state, an altered
state, the fourth state beyond waking, dream and deep sleep or any other kind
of state. It is simple, unchanging awareness and cannot be directly experienced
as an object as it is subtler than the mind, the instrument of experience.'

 and

 '...is neither inward-turned nor outward-turned consciousness, nor both. It is
not an undifferentiated mass of consciousness . It neither knows nor does not
know. It is invisible, ineffable, intangible, devoid of characteristics,
inconceivable, indefinable, its sole essence being the consciousness of its own
self.'

 When discussing meditation and related philosophical systems, one is really
dealing with a technical language just like in science. Casually we use, say,
the word 'energy' in certain ways such as 'the strength and vitality required
for sustained physical or mental activity', but in science it means the
'ability to do work. Objects can have energy by virtue of their motion (kinetic
energy), by virtue of their position (potential energy), or by virtue of their
mass (E = mc²).' This latter is not what most people seem to mean when they say
someone has a lot of energy. But different systems use language differently, so
first you have to nail down as best as one can, just what in hell someone is
trying to say, and that means getting a grasp of how they use those words.
Unless those words can be reduced to experience, it will never be clear just
what is going on.

 Do you experience awareness?  I'm sure you do or you would be residing up on a
hill with some stone markers or in an urn somewhere.  So tell me how can you
experience awareness without consciousness?  I think this is an issue of
semantics.  Does Nisargadatta mean conflate "awareness" with "being?"  Being
theoretically exists without consciousness because it pervades everything and
is the basis of everything.  Some folks call that "being" "God."  "Awareness"
would then be a poor choices of words.  And yes I've read Nisargadatta.

 On 03/19/2015 12:18 PM, anartaxius@... mailto:anartaxius@... [FairfieldLife]