Hi all,

I'm starting to wonder if my vets are very up to date on felv........

My positive, DD, is overgrooming.  I haven't taken her in yet, but when I was in with Lovey on Saturday I asked her about it and she suggested using pred.  She said as long as the cat is asymptomatic it wouldn't hurt to give a low dose.

I've always heard this is a big NO for positives.

In fact, some of you may remember that I lost my positive CC when I took her in for the same thing and they (a different vet) gave her a small dose of pred.  She had overgroomed to the point of developing the neoplasta..whatever stuff.  She was semiferal, so I didn't take her in until I absolutely had to. She developed a URI (probably from the office, as no one here had one) and never recovered.  I think the stress of the office visit, probably getting the uri from there, and the pred. combined is what caused me to lose her.

What do you all think?  And what can I recommend for overgrooming if not pred?  She's been doing this for a while.  The last time I took her in the vet said it wasn't enough to worry about, but it's getting worse.

When I told my vet on Saturday that I didn't think pred. was a good choice for a positive she said we could always try some sort of kitty prozac.  Is there one any of you think is safe for a positive?  Do you agree with the pred. idea?

Thanks for any input!

Tonya