I would at least up his dex to what it was at before you cut it eod.  I might even up it more than that. Have you tried periactin with him? Or reglan or pepcid for nausea? I would fool around with all of these things and try to get his symptoms under control.

The only thing a vet can do for him absent chemo is to increase his steroids or to combine the dex shots with a depo shot, and to prescribe things to stimulate appetite and control nausea. If you have those things at home, I don't see the point of going to the vet for them. You know the dosages, probably.  Also, have you tried giving him fluids?

The only reason I would bring him in is 1) if you think the vet might increase or add steroids, 2) if you want to try chemo, or 3) if you need the meds listed above to control symptoms. I do not see what else a vet would do, and your vet would probably just recommend pts.

Michelle