Hi Michael,

I am way behind on emails, but definitely wanted to touch base with you on the
hyperT with Whitey (btw, I thought that was very funny you guys didn't know she
was a male!!!)  When you start Whitey out on the meds (either Tapazole or
Methimazole -generic Tap), only start at 2.5 mg 2x per day.  I belong to the
hyperT site and we constantly see vets starting cats out at 5 mg 2x per day and
that is no longer the protocol for dosing and often results in overdosing.  It
shocks the system.  The meds may need to be upped very gradually but
introductory meds should be low.  Scratching around the head is a classic
overdosing sign.  Also, the radioactive iodine treatment is the best way to go
for hyperT.  It's a cure, whereas the meds are only a bandaid on a disease that
continues to progress.  The meds don't stop the progression.  Whitey is still
young and will most likely be a good candidate.  Also, the heart murmur is most
likely due to the hyperT.  You will
 probably see it correct itself after the thyroid is regulated.  The meds need
to be given 2x per day because they are generally out of the system in 12
hours.  Now I'm going to go read all the rest of the Whitey posts and see if
everything I've written has already been covered!!!  LOL.

And I don't think you should feel bad at all about caring for this cat and
taking him in.  Do what you have to Michael.  Obviously, no one else is.

Please keep us posted!

:)
Wendy

world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!"     ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

View full size
View full size

FareChase.
http://farechase.yahoo.com/