(Sorry Michael, meant to send this to the list, not to your personal
address.  Keep forgetting the system's changed!)

Johannes wrote
> >Can you explain the steps to do this, I never thought of this (but then I
> >haven't come into the situation of needing it, yet, but you never
know...).

I have to admit, it never even occured to me to try doing multiple time
signatures with asynchronous barlines this way, but I just tried it and it
works a treat!  I set up three staves in 1/4, clicked "independent time
signatures" on, and changed the the time signature "display as" to 5/4, 6/4
and 7/4 respectively.  I then put a pattern of the appropriate meter in each
staff, then created a staff style that would hide barlines of a selection.
When you use beat spacing, it works great.  I could even use dotted quarter
notes as long as I entered then hid an extra eighth note rest at the
beginning of the next bar before entering anything else, and it still spaced
out fine.  I wish I'd thought of this about a year ago when I actually
needed it!

Then Michael wrote:

>      It seems that you can hide any element of notation in Finale, so that
it is
> not visible in a score, but still works in the logic of the program; and
that,
> on top of the hidden symbol, you can have something else which is visible
but
> has no effect in the logic of the program.  Right?

Pretty much, yes.

>      If so, then I suppose you'd use a small time signature (such as 1/4)
which
> fits evenly into both the ones you want to have running simultaneously,
hide the
> 1/4, and write on top of it the time signatures you want to show.  And you
just
> then hide the bar-lines which don't belong to the visible time signatures.
>      That seems to solve the problem - or have I missed something?
Perhaps it
> does sound a bit too easy.

Well it seemed to be that easy when I just tried it.  Things would appear to
get a bit more tricky when the time signatures have different denominators
(e.g - 5/8 & 7/4)

>      Do these staff styles allow you to hide particular symbols
individually, or
> only allow you to set a general rule which decides automatically what is
hidden
> and what is not, and then you can't make exceptions?

Firstly, hiding elements is just one thing that staff styles can do.  Staff
styles allow you to select a portion of a staff (say, 4 bars) and adjust the
way that the staff looks for that portion.  For example, I could change a
5-line staff to a 1 line staff (for an untuned percussion part), or change
the transposition (e.g., if an oboist doubles on cor anglais).  I can get it
to not display whole measure rests in empty bars (as is the default), or I
can change to slash notation, rhythmic notation, blank staves and several
other things.  You can also of course hide things, such as barlines, time
sigs, key sigs, measure numbers, clefs. etc.  You can apply the staff style
anywhere on any staff, and the rest of the music will remain unaffected.  If
you need it to do something slightly different, then you can create another
staff style.

For the items that cannot be hidden via staff styles, there are several
other methods of hiding individual items.

Colin.
Colin Broom, composer
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

www.inventionensemble.com