Michael Edwards wrote:

[snip]

>      Do these staff styles allow you to hide particular symbols individually, or
> only allow you to set a general rule which decides automatically what is hidden
> and what is not, and then you can't make exceptions?

Staff styles don't have any particular logic to them -- you create the
style and it does what you tell it to.  There aren't any sort of
either/or settings, or if/then settings.

But they can be duplicated and edited, and assigned as you wish, so if
you need to hide a particular element for a couple of measures and then
hide a different element for the next couple of measured, you can simply
create two staff styles and assign them only to the particular measures
you want.

There is not the ability to hide every element you might want to hide,
using a staff style.  For instance if you wanted to hide every 8th rest,
you would have to do that manually using the speedy entry tool.  That is
not something you can do with a staff style.

But Finale comes with the ability to use plug-ins, and you can learn how
to program plug-ins.  It is not for the faint of heart, though, but
there are some fine plug-in writers on this list who might be willing
(some for a fee, some for free if they feel the plug-in will benefit
themselves as well as you) to write you specific plug-ins.

Finale is an extremely versatile program, but none of us are attempting
to tell you that everything you will want to use the program for will be
easy to do.  Indeed, it might not even be possible, but I haven't seen
any notation issue discussed which can't be worked around in some manner.

But as with all computer programs, Finale does have its limitations,
which keep being overcome slowly but surely with each new upgrade.

--
David H. Bailey