In various posts, David W. Fenton wrote:

>This is completely unacceptable behavior -- it is basically
>completely unusable in any fashion, by any of the various methods.
>
>What the hell am I going to do here?

I'm coming into this discussion a day late, so probably you've solved
everything by now.

If I had read your original post when it first came out, my immediate
advice would have been to clear out ALL the lyrics in the entire file and
re-enter them all from scratch in a logical fashion.  I know that sounds
draconian, but it's important to keep your syllables in good order.  Once
you've accidentally mucked them up, going back and trying to make repairs
usually leads to further problems; chances are, you'll spend far more time
(and frustration) chasing after every little bug, and when you're done you
still won't be sure that everything is fixed. Re-entering all the lyrics
from scratch seems like a lot of wasted time, but it's really not such a
big deal.

Indeed, if for some reason your file is still giving you lyric problems,
that is STILL my advice:  Clear out all the lyrics from the entire file and
delete them from the Edit Lyrics windows, then start over in an organized
fashion.

--
>It's as though I've got two sets of lyrics on one baseline, and one
>is a big long word extension.

That's exactly what you've got.

>When I choose EDIT LYRICS, this text is not even there!

It's in there somewhere, probably a duplicate of a syllable you're using
elsewhere. If you really want to find it, use the type in score function to
change it to something ridiculously large and watch to see what else
changes along with it.

When syllable assignments aren't consecutive, Finale gets confused.  This
is why it's a bad idea to copy and alter syllables haphazardly.

--
>That's a bloody stupid default setting, seems to me.
>
>It means that I don't get the benefit of knowing where the lyrics are
>that I'm going to change.

True. That's why you shouldn't change these lyrics at all. You should clear
the copied assignments and enter new ones.

Your initial problem resulted from this.  Your subsequent problems with
hyphens, mixed up syllables, and so forth resulted from trying to go behind
the scenes and patch together repairs.

>It also means that I now have to jump through hoops to not lose the
>changes I've already made to the musical text (the rhythm is not the
>same).

Yes, that's unfortunate.  When you make an error which corrupts a file
irreparably and then you proceed with further work not realizing that the
file has been spoiled, you're going to lose all the extra work when the
error is finally discovered.

In your case (and in most cases like this), the best course would have been
to clear out all the lyrics and re-enter them. That way your changes to the
music would be preserved.

>Could someone explain to me *why* this default is a good idea? And
>why it can't be turned off?

The fact that mass copy creates aliases to the lyrics as opposed to new
ones is not illogical at all. It is exactly analogous to how articulations
and expressions work. If you were to copy several measures of music
complete with all the expressions, and then went in to change individual
instances of "mf" or "cresc" to "mp" or "dimin.", you would make a hash of
your expression list and foul up other instances of those same expressions
in the same document.

The difference is that with lyrics, with its type-in-score function and no
separate window for the changes, this process is less obvious to the user.
Hence, a user unfamiliar with how the lyric system works is more likely to
screw things up without realizing it. (This, incidentally, should set off
alarm bells for the plan -- advocated by many in this group -- of devising
a type-in-score scheme for expressions. Under the type-in-score expression
ideas we've sketched out here, I could very easily imagine some unwary user
doing a similar mass copy, followed by type-in-score alterations to the
markings, leading to chaos of the exact same sort that you encountered with
lyrics.)

I think we all agree that the lyric system is somewhat clumsy and
confusing. I do agree that Coda would do well to make it more "idiot-proof"
so that newbies can't so easily get themselves into trouble[*]. But I would
not join with those who think that copy should default to creating a whole
new set of syllables. Unless you're revamping the whole lyric scheme
altogether, that would be illogical and inconsistent with how the system
works. Would you have it do the same thing for expressions?

Once you have a feel for how the program keeps track of lyric syllables,
it's pretty easy to get the results you want.  Like many things in Finale,
it takes a few jobs to get the hang of it. If you're copying music to make
a second verse with different lyrics, the sensible course is to do the mass
copy, then clear all the lyrics in the new version, then enter the new
lyrics from scratch. If it's a different set of lyrics, it's logical and
easier to enter them separately rather than revising the wrong text
syllable by syllable. Making alterations to the first set of lyrics is
asking for serious problems, because -- as you now realize -- what you're
really doing is futzing around with the entries you've already made
elsewhere.

Incidentally, we've had threads in the past where users have discussed
their preferred methods for entering lyrics.  I was surprised at the wide
variety of techniques, but the one thing we all had in common is agreement
on the importance of proceeding in a logical, systematic fashion.  Entering
and changes syllables haphazardly is what leads to confusion.  It's sort of
the same idea as writing ad hoc spaghetti code with no documentation.

[*] One thing that would make all these problems go away is if it were
changed so that it's impossible to assign the same syllable more than once.
In other words, every syllable in the list is used once and only once.
Personally, I wouldn't mind this one bit, since that's how I operate
anyway. (On occasions when I really do need the same lyrics more than once,
I make a fresh copy in a new verse box, just in case I ever want to change
them in one place but not the other.) I would, however, miss it if the
whole system of indirection were scrapped.  I do very much appreciate the
ability to enter and edit the syllables directly in the Edit Lyrics window
and then make the assignments to the score separately.

mdl