At 1:30 AM 09/24/02, Noel Stoutenburg wrote:

[answering me]
>>   But, as John Blane correctly pointed out, deleting in Adjust
>> Syllables is safer than either.
>
>True, but I had not been aware this was an option until very recently, and
>have not
>had the time to gain any experience with it.

It clears the assignment while leaving the text of the syllable in the
underlying text.

The one problem with this method is that if there was a hyphen before the
cleared syllable, it will still try to calculate its position based on the
syllable which was cleared and not deleted.  For example, if you start out
with four notes sung "ev-er-y-one" and then later you decide to slur the
middle two notes and make it "ev'-ry-one" instead, if you use this method
to delete the "y" syllable, you'll get a string of hyphens starting at "ry"
and running to the end of the piece.

>I posted a message to this list Wednesday last week, which I copied to Coda, in
>which I observed that in my mind, the biggest drawback bar none, to Finale
>was the
>inadequacy of the documentation for the software.  I still feel that way.

You're probably right.  I pretty much gave up on the manual long ago.  I
skim through it to get a general sense of the features, but ultimately I
want to know the details of how everything works, and I realize that such a
thorough and geeky documentation would be a turn-off to many other users,
so I can't really recommend it to Coda. If there were a separate book
written like a good old-fashioned technical reference manual, that would be
great. There are plenty of features I regularly use but never took the time
to fully explore (slur settings, for example).

mdl