At 4:12 PM 09/24/02, David W. Fenton wrote:

[answering me]
>> I never use the Auto Update checkbox. I'm still not clear what it is that
>> bothers you about click-assignment without Auto Update, but I don't really
>> need to know. The program should be designed so that you can work with
>> Type-in-Score only and never need to visit Click Assignment or Edit Lyrics.
>
>Because when I click on a note to assign it, I cannot then see for
>certain that I've gotten it right, because the score does not
>properly repaint so that I can see the results of the click.

Hmm, I'm not experiencing that problem.  I do sometimes get bad
screen-draws that don't show lyrics right, but those happen regardless of
whether I'm using click-assignment (or even in the lyric tool at all).  I
assumed these were related to my old, slow system, and I just do a redraw
command to clean them up.

Other than that, I have no redraw problems with click-assignment regardless
of whether "auto update" is on or not.

>If I delete the syllable, the hyphens attached to it should be
>deleted.

If by this you mean the hyphen FOLLOWING the syllable, I agree with you.
If you are deleting a syllable with a hyphen on either side, I believe that
one hyphen should be deleted and the other should remain.  I think that
will reflect the user's intentions more often.

>When I think of "real data," I think of my score. When you think of
>the term, you think of the binary bits.
>
>I wonder whose point of view is more common?

I dunno.  How about if I restate my original statement as "... closer to
the binary bits..."?  Better?

>But in other contexts, SPACE introduces redundant spaces.

Again, could you offer an example?  I don't know how to introduce redundant
spaces in the text stream other than by deleting syllables.

>I just noticed that hitting ENTER after entering a syllable also
>moves to the next syllable, which means it's entering a space into
>the source text stream (I checked, and it does), but using ENTER
>instead of SPACE does *not* get rid of the excess hyphen.

Correct. The enter key advances to the next syllable without changing the
separator.

>In short, inconsistencies in the behavior of TYPE IN SCORE in
>relation to the source text stream abound.

I won't deny that problems abound, but I see no inconsistency in the
differing behavior of Enter and spacebar. Those are two different
operations. Enter behaves exactly the same as the right arrow key.  Is that
an inconsistency between spacebar and the right arrow?

>Eh? Why doesn't it do what it says, which is either to shift
>everything by one note, or to shift to the the next available note?
>It doesn't do either of those reliably, and is therefore very
>tedious, as one use of it in the middle of a score requires
>reprocessing every lyric assignment from there to the end.

The Shift Lyrics function is designed to shift every lyric from the one you
click until the end of text.  If that's not what you want, then using it
would indeed be tedious.  If that is what you want, then it's quite handy.

>But if it's in a context where there should be no hyphen at all, it
>is not *redundant*.

Agreed.  I never intended to use the term that way.  When I say "redundant
hyphen", I'm talking about a place where a hyphen in the score is intended,
but in the text stream it appears as multiple consecutive hyphens instead
of just one. The extra hyphens are "redundant" in the sense that they still
appear as a single hyphen in the score and do not separate any additional
syllables. They do, however, interfere with certain entry behavior in
type-in-score (such as changing a hyphen to a space). I believe that they
are a buggy byproduct of morphing the original system into something new,
and a proper revamp of the system should make them non-existent.

>To be honest, I have no idea now. I didn't delete nearly as many
>syllables as there were spaces in my source text, so I assumed they
>came from advancing with the space bar.

I think probably not.

>Again, inconsistent data, data I don't intend, is getting into the
>source text stream. I can't figure out what I did to get the
>erroneous data there, because I thought I was doing things in a
>logical and clear way, based on what I could see on screen.
>
>This is not new information, just more evidence that something is
>seriously wrong.

Believe it or not, I'm coming around to your way of thinking.  I think that
some basic repairs, short of a fundamental data restructure, could give you
the consistent linkage between Type-in-Score and Edit Lyrics that you've
been asking for while still preserving the Edit Lyrics and Click Assign
system that I prefer. At the same time it would expunge all the true bugs
and make the various "unsafe behaviors" impossible from Type-in-Score.

mdl