I should have been more precise.  Where I wrote

…<snip…If one deletes the same syllables in "edit lyrics" mode, OTH, all of
the syllables in the balance of the string visible in the "edit lyrics" window
get shifted to the left two places, even when this takes the first syllable of
one staff and attaches it to some note on the preceding staff.
I should have written "…If one deletes the same syllables in "edit lyrics" mode, OTH, all of the syllables in the balance of the string visible in the "edit lyrics" window
get shifted to the left by the same number of places as the number of syllables deleted, even when this takes the first syllables of subsequent staves and attaches them to notes on preceding staves.

ns

In general,
deleting syllables in "type into score" mode, is, in my experience, the safest
way to do it.

ns