On 23 Sep 2002 at 20:38, Mark D. Lew wrote:

> I've been thinking a lot about this lately, and I now believe this can be
> achieved WITHOUT destroying the power or the continuity of the system that
> exists. The model is Automatic Music Spacing and Automatic Update Layout.
> That is, there is a function which reviews your data and tidies it up
> according to a certain set of rules devised to intelligently guess what you
> want. For those who are content to follow these rules all the time, there
> is the option to choose a new "Automatic Lyric Ordering" so that it is
> constantly being performed on the fly.

You're completely missing the point.

Text comes first, before any music is written.

Text drives the whole compositional process.

Do you think it's accidental that the most complete parts of Mozart's
Requiem are the voice parts? No, it's not accidental. It is entirely
because of the relationship between text being set and the musical
fabric created for that purpose.

Finale attaches lyrics to notes, when, in fact, the real process (as
Dennis described in his alternate lyrics tool) is that notes are
assigned to lyrics.

Finale can simply not be fixed in this regard, and, ultimately, I'm
not sure *any* computer program *could*.

--
David W. Fenton                         |
http://www.bway.net/~dfenton