On 9/27/02 8:42 AM or thereabouts, Christopher BJ Smith
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> intoned:

> Hmm, I usually accomplish the same thing by hiding Layer 2 entries
> using "O" and attaching the chord symbols to the hidden Layer 2
> entries.

Ah.  This doesn't work for Layer 1 -- pressing "O" to hide the entries also
hides anything attached to them, including chord symbols.

> That way I don't mess up my displayed notation because it's
> using layer options from some other layer. I suppose if you reserved
> Layer 4 for chord symbols and hid them using Blank Notation for layer
> 4, this would be more consistent.

In fact I use the opposite!  I usually move the *music* to Layer 4 (which I
have set up to never adjust for notes in other layers) and put the chords in
Layer 1, then apply blank notation.  I admit that this is partly a holdover
from the days where blank notation *only* worked on Layer 1 and could not be
customized, but there are other advantages -- see below...

> But it is an enormous pain when
> entering chords to have to switch layers for ONE measure, then switch
> back, only to have to do it again a measure later...

Exactly.  Chords frequently need to be manually adjusted, especially when
spacing is tight (and when you have 4 chords in a measure that otherwise
only has a whole note in it, spacing will be tight).  I'd rather not muck
about changing layers all the time to edit chords -- I want them all in the
same layer.  It's less important that music all be in the same layer, since
it doesn't require the same degree of micromanagement as chord symbols do.

- Darcy

------
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Boston, MA