At 2:03 PM 09/26/02, David W. Fenton wrote:

>Can anyone come up with a scenario in which that is even a
>*marginally* useful option?

Marginally useful, yes.  If you find yourself in a situation where you want
Finale to consistently give you an extra bit of space between two
particular notes (perhaps you've got a wide text expression that need to
appear above it, but checking note expressions in the Music Spacing Options
causes other problems), you can copy the music of that measure to another
layer, add an extraneous accidental or two to create the needed space, and
make it invisible.

Obviously there are numerous ways to tweak spacing, and we've all used many
of them. An advantage I see in this one is that it will continue to be in
place no matter how many times you adjust and respace the music, and
although it's weird and kludgy, it's relatively quick to do.  I doubt I'd
do it often, but I can see keeping it in my mental bag of tricks for an
occasion when it was the most efficient fix for an unusual situation.

The larger issue here, I think, is that with Layer Options, you're forced
to make layer 4 your invisible layer throughout the piece.  If you can
adapt your habits around that, great.  Others may have enjoyed the
flexibility of using layers according to a different plan.  I have
occasionally encountered a situation where I really do need all four layers
in the same bar. If I had my entire document set with layer 4 to be ignored
in spacing, then that would have been problematic.

Finale has a lot of options which you'll leave alone most of the time but
can change for special occasions. For this feature to be more useful, you
need to be able to turn it off and on on a measure-by-measure basis, and
the logical way to incorporate that is in a staff style.  In addition to
just blanked-out measures, there could be times when you want to turn
affects-spacing off for some visible measure.

>From Randy's post, I gather that Coda agrees in principle, but backed off
for practical reasons.

mdl