At 04:07 PM 6/5/2003 -0400, Darcy James Argue wrote:

You're right that the fact that they're still trying to sell people on Fin2003 upgrades probably suggests that Fin2004 will be somewhat delayed. (My heart sank when I got yet another ad for Fin2003 in my inbox at this late date.) Also, I have never seen Coda so desperate to sell an upgrade as they were with Fin2003. I probably received more "special offers -- EXTENDED" for Fin2003 than I did for all other upgrades combined. This would seem to suggest that people weren't exactly snapping up Fin2003 upgrades like it was the latest 50 Cent record -- evidently a lot of folks felt that this latest upgrade cycle was a complete waste of money. And the lack of OS X compatibility surely didn't help.

That's probably an accurate reading of the situation. I'm not saying that 2003 was worthless. I imagine some of the clean-up (restructuring the options, e.g.) was long overdue and does result in a better impression for new customers. And I suppose there might be somebody out there who thinks it is cool to be able to set the buttons to a dozen different colors.

But for a person who uses the software as an everyday tool, 2003 just didn't seem to provide much value. I do hope that they have taken a different approach to 2004.

Actually, I would have bought the upgrade, even though the benefits for me were slight. The thing that turned me off was the lack of backward compatibility. Why should I cut myself off from the basa of 2002 users -- and spend $100 for the "privilege"?

If they are smart, then 2004 will have "Save As" capabilities to save the MUS files in formats compatible at least back to 2002 if not earlier.