Again I have to put on my editor's hat and say that I fully understand the
publisher's position on this. He wants to know he can get his hands on the
original notation file if they decide to alter the original version, like
with a simplification, or perhaps to change title fonts and sizes to match
an overall layout scheme of a new collection of previously-published works.

A similar argument that was raised about Finale's copy protection might can
be raised in this discussion, i.e. what if the engraver (sadly!) dies or can
no longer communicate? If he's the only one with his Finale files, and most
likely IS the only one who know which ones are what in terms of projects and
final versions, then there's a real risk that the publisher would be left
out in the cold in such a case. And what if the engraver had a lot of work
he had done for that same publisher?

It seems to me that some sort of backstop scenario ought to be followed by
all of us by which we preserve in an organized way the files that might be
needed by clients in the event we no longer can provide them or do the new
work the publisher desires. Something that a third-party coud understand,
such as (just guessig here) and CD inside a jewel box to which was affixed a
label saying, "Send to Acme Publishing." This could be updted or a series of
such CDs or disks could be done, I presume, as projects are done. If some of
you on the list have such a plan, how about sharing what your plan is?

Peronally, I don't have a problem with sending my files because of what I
said before, that I believe the editor has absolutely no interest in
anything except easily and quickly getting edits done and out the door. I
could, however, envision the possibility of stipulating that the original
engraver also had to do future revisions, although I'm not sure how one
would word that or enforce it.

RIchard