You're talking about pickup notes, I presume. You do it this way: Make sure
your first measure has only the pickup notes in it (no rests covering the
other beats). Go to Options > Document Settings > Set Pickups. There you
tell Finale how many beats the pickup notes cover. Return to the score and
you should see that measure #1 now is the next ("second") measure, since the
1st measure no longer is  full measure. By the way, be sure you enter a rest
of the same value in the bass clef if your pick-up note(s) are in the treble
clef only--don't leave it as a default rest.

--Richard