Title: Finmac2004 lateness, continued
To the Finale list gang,

Here is an exchange I had recently with the Make Music lads, bemoaning the lateness of FinMac 2004. If any of you were unaware of these guys, this might help in a pinch.

I have also heard that in many cases it is possible to have BOTH Fin2003 and Fin2004 open at the same time, tile the windows, and drag the contents of the 2004 file into the 2003 window, (assuming they have the same number and arrangement of staves, of course) then save the 2003 file before sending it on to your friendly neighbourhood FinMac2003 user. Any idea if this works?

Oh, well.

Christopher

******************

Dear Christopher,

Thanks for your email, which points out one of the terrible consequences of this delay for some of our customers.

There is one solution we can suggest for you to work with Finale 2004 files, but it does involve some work on your part. I asked our manager of tech support and Quality assurance about it and here's what he said:

Michael Good created a plug-in (currently available only for Windows) that will allow Finale 2004 Windows users to (among other things) save files in the file format of earlier Finale versions. This plug-in costs $39.95. More info is available at http://store.recordare.com/doletfin1.html

The same company also offers translation services - if you have a file created in Finale 2004 for Windows and you need to read it in Finale 2003, they can do the conversion for you. Prices start at $10. http://www.recordare.com/xml/translation.html

If the person sending files from a Windows machine has the Dolet plug-in, the sender can convert Finale 2004 files to an earlier format and send these files to the Mac recipient who will then be able to read them. If the sender doesn't have the Dolet plug-in and simply sends Fin2k4 files, the recipient could still pay Recordare, on a file-by-file basis, to convert any Fin2k4 files into a format the recipient can read (like Finale 2003 - or earlier).

I hope that this might be a workable solution for you if you have some important work to do while you're waiting for Finale 2004. We're doing our best to hurry and get the software right for a January release.

Thanks for your patience.

Best wishes,

Sean Lafleur
Chairman and CEO