I may not yet understand you, but what you describe sounds like a first
ending/second ending situation. The second ending would include the upbeat
to the second phrase of course, but would be part of a complete measure. Of
course, that second ending could be any meter you wanted.

To my knowledge, there's no such thing as a "pickup" bar in the midst of a
piece of music in the same sense as at the beginning. You have to account
for the beats with a time signature, although it could be invisible. An
exception would be if this were a 2nd movement, I suppose, but you'd still
have to use the edit region feature to change the measure numbers to
whatever you wanted them to be.

If I'm still missing the point, I yield!

Richard