Of course if there were such a plug-in, that would mean that there were version compatibility, which we all know won't ever happen.

Sibelius has added a new feature to version 3 that allows a file to be saved in version 2 format -- what is left out is simply the eye-candy that isn't supported in version 2. The actual music (notes, rhythms, articulations, expressions, text, layout, lyrics) remain just as they are setup in version 3, so it really has inter-version compatibility.

As far as I can see, that's about the only thing worthwhile about Sibelius, though. Just thought I would mention that somebody in the music notation field is thinking kindly about its end-users.

MakeMusic and veracity of statement seem to be getting harder to put together in the same sentence -- I am sure Michael Goode cringed when he saw Christopher's quote. It is statements like the one he quoted that make me realize it doesn't matter if all techsupport is shipped overseas to places where nobody speaks my language -- they don't know what the [EMAIL PROTECTED] they're talking about anyway. Recordare (the company that makes and markets the Dolet Plug-ins) and Michael Goode (Recordare's founder, I believe) have NEVER said that the Dolet plugins allow anybody to save in an earlier format.

They only claim that the MusicXML will allow for far more transfer of data than using midi files allows, so there is less clean-up necessary in the earlier version.

visit www.recordare.com for more details and for more accurate statements about the dolet plug-ins.

d. collins wrote:

Christopher BJ Smith quoted:

Michael Good created a plug-in (currently available only for Windows) that will allow Finale 2004 Windows users to (among other things) save files in the file format of earlier Finale versions.

This is a bit misleading, because the Dolet plug-in does not allow you to save files if the format of earlier versions of Finale. It allows you to save as XML, which you can then import into a previous version of Finale, but you loose quite a few things, beginning with your whole layout.

It would be great to have a plug-in doing what Makemusic says Dolet can do.

Dennis

.

-- David H. Bailey [EMAIL PROTECTED]