The way the underlying data structure is built changes with each release. So data used for one thing in an earlier version might be used for something else in a later version and something else entirely in an even later version.

Not having to maintain backward compatibility makes the programmers' task a little easier because they can restructure the data to suit the new requirements without a thought as to how that will affect inter-version compatibility.

I'm not saying that it is an impossibility, just that with the proven track record of Makemusic/Net4Music/Coda's version history, now that we're about up to version 10 or so and there has been absolutely NO backward compatibility, I'm not holding my breath waiting.

Whether it hurts or helps Finale is an unproven and vastly debatable point, since there is no control group against which to compare data.

Tobias may have SAID it would be fairly easy to write such a plug-in, but I don't see that he has done it yet, so either there isn't that much of a market for it, or it isn't as easy as he thought it might be.

In any event, I don't think it will happen anytime soon, this inter-version backward compatibility.

d. collins wrote:
David H. Bailey écrit:

Of course if there were such a plug-in, that would mean that there were version compatibility, which we all know won't ever happen.

Why couldn't this happen some day? Makemusic is probably convinced that the absence of backwards compatibility will prompt users to upgrade. In many cases, it's exactly the opposite that happens: many people don't upgrade precisely their files will no longer be read by those who, for whatever reason, didn't upgrade yet. Here in France, many users prefer to wait for the French version, which takes about a year to come out. I have a friend who bought 2001 when 2003 was already out in English. So the wisest thing to do is to stick with the oldest version possible, and to be the last one to upgrade. I think Tobias said it would be fairly easy to write such a plug-in. I think this is the one feature I miss most in Fin2004.

Dennis

.

-- David H. Bailey [EMAIL PROTECTED]