On 16 Dec 2003 at 14:49, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

> At 11:46 AM 12/16/03 -0600, Fiskum, Steve wrote:
> >Here is some info on Expose. I think you may have a different
> >response
> after reading.
> >http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/expose/
>
> I just read this, and I'm not sure what the deal is.
>
> Even in Win98SE, Right-click toolbar | Tile does what is described.
> There's probably a keystroke; I don't use tiling because I keep every
> program maximized -- I *hate* a cluttered screen and multi toolbars.
> Where possible, I turn every toolbar off and use text headers and
> keystrokes.
>
> As for mouseover highlighting windows, mouse focus has been an
> existing Windows feature for at least 5 years -- another I have turned
> off. Maximize button or double click restores them, and Right-click
> toolbar minimizes or restores.
>
> For switching programs, I use ALT+TAB and switching Windows (in MDI
> interface) CTL+TAB. (These are far more used on my machine then
> multiple windows on the desktop. Keeps my mental focus.)
>
> So is there something significant I missed in this description? Saving
> a keystroke (to do something I'm not interested in doing)?

Yes, I would say so.

You've described a whole set of methods for doing all the things that
Expose does in a unified fashion, with a UI that is more intuitive
than task switching, tiling and taskbar manipulation. Expose is the
answer, I think, to the basic flaws in the implementation of a
taskbar-like UI that Apple has been working to overcome since
translating the taskbar metaphor into OS X as a way of representing
multi-tasking.

Also, note that when you tile in Windows, you lose your original
Window size/aspect ratio, whereas this is not the case with Expose,
from what I understand.

Of course, I'm breaking my rule by commenting on a product I don't
use, but this time, I'm not criticizing! I'm pointing out what I've
understood to be vastly superior about it just from reading.

I think it's similar to the way Internet Explorer users don't
understand why Mozilla users are so attached to tabbed browsing -- if
you haven't used it, you won't be able understand how much it changes
the user experience.