On 16.12.2003 22:41 Uhr, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote

>> See what I mean? The whole point is you have to have used it to understand
>> what it does. What you think it does is not what it is for.
>
> I'm sure "you have to use it" didn't come up in the coding phase, so
> somebody must have a way of expressing it, in a spec if nothing else.

OK, since you didn't understand the text on the Panther web site, I'll give
it a shot:

Imagine you are working with several applications at once, say you have your
email program open with the main window and an open message in a separate
window, you also have your browser open with two (full screen) windows,
Finale with a score and two part files, the System Gui with a couple of
windows, and perhaps your word processor with another two windows. Now you
want one of your Finale windows in front, but it is burried somewhere behind
everything else. The normal way would be to go to the dock (or the Taskbar
in Windows) select the correct app (or even window in Windows), but it will
be hard to find.
With Expose I move my mouse into a corner, and all Windows (all means all,
not just the front application, although that is possible, too) shrink so
they fit neatly on the screen. The amount they shrink depends on the number
and size of windows. Due to the screen vector graphics they even look pretty
good at reduced size. I can now move the mouse over any one of them and
Expose will tell me their name. If I click on one it comes to the front
again (and everything goes back to full size).
I can do the same just for the windows of the front application. I can also
just hide all windows to see the desktop. The point is I can immediately
restore all windows to full size, get the one to front which I need.
I know this sounds as though the functionality is not that different from
what you can do in Windows by the task bar, but once you have tried it you
will see that the whole approach is so much better and quicker than any
taskbar or dock or program switching.
This is not about hiding windows or arranging windows, it's about _finding_
windows.

Johannes
--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com