On Tuesday, December 16, 2003, at 12:33 PM, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

Virtual cross-wiring scripting (not programming) language so that I can get any programs to act on any other program's information, in real time, regardless of what kind of information it is. (I just restored a bunch of my own recordings from the 1980s, and realized how much more control I had over information and computer input/output with a few simple commands.) I'd like to play back my text files, or convert images to audio, or Finale data to drawings -- all as I'm working on them.

You will want to try AppleScript Studio on Panther or newer. Getting at other application's data is the key issue. If the data you need is in a file, it's yours. If the data is in a Carbon or Cocoa application and the app supports data access thru AppleScript, it's yours. If the application is slightly recalcitrant WRT AppleScript, but otherwise has menus items and windows where you can click buttons etc. to get data, its yours. Mentioned previously:

As of OS X, we also have built-in support for tclsh, python, ruby, java, tcsh, bash, zsh, and sh, and 100s of traditional unix tools. All of these are accessible from AppleScript. You can pipe from shell calls to AppleScript. Furthermore, 10.2.3 and up supports scripting UI objects.

Oops! forgot to mention Perl, and of course many of the unix sound related apps are now ported to Darwin. To manage your realtime coordination requirements, the world famous 'expect' utility is part of the stock install as of 10.3.

Philip Aker http://www.aker.ca